Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rejishravindran
Frequent Visitor

currency conversion through dynamic date selection

Hi - i need help with two requirements. am new to powerbi space.

Dataset is a live connection.

1) How to get the user input date(Single selection)? For example user is going to input the date in the screen(not through dropdown or vertical list). I tried changing the data type to text but it doesnt help user to input the date. It allows them to search the date in the drop down. 

2) Using the user input date, i have perform currency conversion. i have exchange rate table and transactions table. Whenever user input any date - based on that date currency conversion triggers(convert them into USD values).  

Below is the formula i used:

Revaluated amount =

var _date = SELECTEDVALUE('Exchange rate'[Date])

var _conv = CALCULATE(SUM('Exchange Rates'[exchange_rate]),TREATAS({_date},'Exchange rate[Date]))

RETURN

calculate(sum(transaction amount)/_conv)

Any pointers would be great help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rejishravindran ,

The Slicer that comes with Power BI only allows the user to input the date by themselves if the Style is Between, all other types of slicers do not support inputting the date by themselves. 
It would have been possible to use the Numeric range parameter as a workaround because the slicer created by the parameter has input functionality, but since you mentioned that your connection mode is Live connection, the parameter functionality is not available in that connection mode, so that workaround won't work either.

In this case, if you insist on needing input functionality, then perhaps custom visual is the only way to go:
Using custom visual requires that you first log in to Power BI Desktop using your company or school's intra-organizational account.

vjunyantmsft_0-1715652052188.png

I think this custom visual might possibly help you:

vjunyantmsft_1-1715652170237.png

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rejishravindran ,

The Slicer that comes with Power BI only allows the user to input the date by themselves if the Style is Between, all other types of slicers do not support inputting the date by themselves. 
It would have been possible to use the Numeric range parameter as a workaround because the slicer created by the parameter has input functionality, but since you mentioned that your connection mode is Live connection, the parameter functionality is not available in that connection mode, so that workaround won't work either.

In this case, if you insist on needing input functionality, then perhaps custom visual is the only way to go:
Using custom visual requires that you first log in to Power BI Desktop using your company or school's intra-organizational account.

vjunyantmsft_0-1715652052188.png

I think this custom visual might possibly help you:

vjunyantmsft_1-1715652170237.png

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.