Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CBahnsen
Regular Visitor

counts by zip code

I'm just getting started with Power BI.  I wrote a simple sql query and used it in a DirectQuery, thinking l could do a number of different aggregations on the raw dataset in Power BI itself.

Here's what some of the query results look like:

sqlQueryResults08312020.JPG

In the Power BI model window I gave the PatZip a Data category of Postal Code and in a table it's grouping and sorting by zip code.

zipCodesAreSorted08312020.JPG

But I can't figure out how to get counts by zip code.  I'll want to perform similar counts on the other categories, viz., PatStatus, PatAge, and PatSex.

Thanks for any help.

Christian Bahnsen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Drag ZIP to the Table a 2nd time, and then under Values, drop down and change it to Count....

fhill_0-1598899676176.png

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Drag ZIP to the Table a 2nd time, and then under Values, drop down and change it to Count....

fhill_0-1598899676176.png

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

@fhill  Thanks ... I never would have thought of doing it that way.  I was trying to do a calculated column or create a measure or something along those lines

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

As I'm not aware of the data model so you can try a below Dax :

ZipCode Count = CALCULATE( COUNT(Table[ZipCode Column ]), ALLEXCEPT(Table, AgeColumn))

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CBahnsen , not very clear. You can take a count of column.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

@amitchandak  I want counts by each zip code (or sex or whatever category I choose), not a count of all the zip codes.

Here's how I'd do it in ssms

groupZip08312020.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.