Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maryjanesmith
Helper I
Helper I

count rows with some conditions

Hi everyone!

I need to count the rows with same idticket, idclient after the first time that they appear. I also have to exclude duplicates so I only have to count once these records. The result is indicated below. so the total in this example should be 10. Can you help, please?
PBI file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuMLcKZkL7PFgkY3qjc2GJ35giM2?e=aCetar

maryjanesmith_0-1646651135770.png

thank you!

17 REPLIES 17
maryjanesmith
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Jihwan_Kim , the problem is that my real data has many duplicate dates like the table from the first post, with your formula they are accounted. Do you know how to remove the duplicates? thank  you very much for your help.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Num occurrences = 
var currentClient = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Table'[idclient] )
var currentTicket = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Table'[idticket] )
var minDate = CALCULATE( MIN('Table'[Date_time]), 'Table'[idclient] = currentClient && 'Table'[idticket] = currentTicket )
var result = COUNTROWS( SUMMARIZE(
FILTER( 'Table', 'Table'[idclient] = currentClient && 'Table'[idticket] = currentTicket && 'Table'[Date_time] > minDate ),
'Table'[idclient], 'Table'[idticket], 'Table'[Date_time]
) )
return result

using SUMMARIZE across the idclient, idticket and Date_Time columns will filter out any duplicates

Hi @johnt75 ,

thank you very much answer but the measure result is blank, did you tested?

Yes, if I put that measure on a table or matrix visual with idticket and idclient on the rows then I get correct values.

johnt75_0-1646656394086.png

Do you have any other filters applied which could restrict the results ?

No, I don't have any filters that restrict the results. I need this measure on a card but the result of that measure is blank. In the matrix the total that you see is blank and for that reason on the card is blank too.

In the future, I will only have a filter that is in the date table "interval" to see which tickets belong to each interval.

Your solution seems so elegant and nice but for the moment doesn't work for this purpose :/. 

I understand, you want the overall total not broken down by client / ticket.

Num occurrences = SUMX( ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE( 'Table', 'Table'[idclient], 'Table'[idticket], 'Table'[Date_time] ),
"@value",
var currentClient = CALCULATE( SELECTEDVALUE( 'Table'[idclient] ) )
var currentTicket = CALCULATE( SELECTEDVALUE( 'Table'[idticket] ) )
var minDate = CALCULATE( MIN('Table'[Date_time]), 'Table'[idclient] = currentClient && 'Table'[idticket] = currentTicket )
var result = COUNTROWS( SUMMARIZE(
FILTER( 'Table', 'Table'[idclient] = currentClient && 'Table'[idticket] = currentTicket && 'Table'[Date_time] > minDate ),
) )
return result
), [@value])

should give you what you're after

Thank you again for your answer! There is another problem that I forgot to mention. When you select a filter like for instance month, in your formula the first result is not considered even it is the same occurrence from the previous month. 
About your new formula, the result for idclient 001 is 55 and should be 10 and If you filter august should be 5.  PBi file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuMLcKZkL7PFgkY3qjc2GJ35giM2?e=MAcPtQ
thank you again for your time.

Can you confirm what the date filter is supposed to filter out. You say that August should return 5, so it looks like you want to find the first occurence of a ticket / client combination regardless of when it occurred and then find the number of repeat occurences within the selected time frame ?

yes, that's right. I need to find repeated occurrences for the same idclient and ticket excluding the duplicate values)

Try

Num occurrences = 
SUMX(
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE( 'Table', 'Table'[idclient], 'Table'[idticket] ),
"num instances",
var firstInstance = CALCULATE( MIN( 'Table'[Date_time] ), REMOVEFILTERS( 'Date' ) )
RETURN CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( SUMMARIZE(
FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Date_time] > firstInstance ),
) ) )
),
[num instances]
)

Thank you  @johnt75 , is it possible to show a table with the idclient, idticket and date_time for these occurrences?

I think you could add a calculated column as below, then filter out any entries which are 1

Is first entry = 
var currentTicket = 'Table'[idticket]
var currentClient = 'Table'[idclient]
var currentDateTime = 'Table'[Date_time]
var numPrevEntries = CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('Table'), REMOVEFILTERS(), 'Table'[idclient] = currentClient && 'Table'[idticket] = currentTicket
&& 'Table'[Date_time] < currentDateTime )
return IF ( numPrevEntries = 0, 1, 0)

Hi @johnt75 actually as a column does not work because there is no row context I guess but if I write this way almost work. The only problem is that the duplicates are also 1 in this formula:

VAR result =
COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
ALL('Table'),
'Table'[idclient] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[idclient] )
&& 'Table'[idticket] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[idticket] )
&& 'Table'[Date_time] < EARLIER ( 'Table'[Date_time] )
&& 'Table'[Date_time]<>blank()

)
)
RETURN
IF ( result <> 0, 1, 0 )

Thank you! I am learning a lot with you 🙂

I meant for you to use the calculated column so that you could display the data in a table, not to replace the num occurences measure.

johnt75_0-1646736640855.png

By adding the new column as a filter the table will also obey any other filters or slicers you apply. e.g. using a slicer to select August produces

johnt75_1-1646736801434.png

I know @johnt75 , I didn't replace it. I used it as a filter. What I was trying to do is display the total for each client and the total for all in a table. That's why I said that if you tried to do with the calculated column the duplicates appear because they also have 1 in the condition.

You may be able to get rid of the duplicates if you replace the ALL('Table') with

CALCULATETABLE( SUMMARIZE( 'Table', 'Table'[idclient], 'Table'[idticket], 'Table'[Date_time]),
REMOVEFILTERS( 'Table' )
)
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

It is for creating a measure.

Picture2.png

test 2 fix =
SUMX (
'Table',
CALCULATE (
SWITCH (
TRUE (),
VAR currentidticket =
MAX ( 'Table'[idticket] )
VAR currentidclient =
MAX ( 'Table'[idclient] )
RETURN
MINX (
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Table' ),
'Table'[idticket] = currentidticket
&& 'Table'[idclient] = currentidclient
),
'Table'[Date_time]
)
= MAX ( 'Table'[Date_time] ), 0,
COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ) > 1, 1 / COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),
)
)
)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.