Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

xangetsu21
Frequent Visitor

changing the column width for a double layered x axis column chart or condense the chart altogether

I have a column chart on power bi with option OI against each strike and for each strike for each of the dates. so in short it has two layers in x axis 1st layer is strike and 2nd layer is date. for all the strikes in the table there are subgroup for all dates in the tables on x axis. and y axis is OI so I have bars with value of OI for each date for each strike. the problem is the chart is too long and I have to scroll so many times to see the full chart. I want it to be condensed to show the whole chart in one page or atleast 8 to 10 strikes in one page. But I cant find a way. It doesn't have option to adjust column width, it onlly allows to adjust minimum category width on x axis which can't be lower than 20%. I was hoping if it can be done in excel but I couldn't find a way to add two layers into the x axis. I am hoping anyone here might know how to do it in excel or any way to make the column width lesser or condense the chart... please help
Screenshot (87)c.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @xangetsu21 
There is no option to reduce the columns' width.
To reduce the size of the x-axis you can consider to :
1. Reduce the space between categories 

Ritaf1983_0-1707016798070.png

2. To change a graph type to dots instead of bars:

Ritaf1983_1-1707016873874.png

This is of course not enough, so you can also resize a canvas width:

Ritaf1983_2-1707017052617.png

Pbix with examples is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @xangetsu21 
There is no option to reduce the columns' width.
To reduce the size of the x-axis you can consider to :
1. Reduce the space between categories 

Ritaf1983_0-1707016798070.png

2. To change a graph type to dots instead of bars:

Ritaf1983_1-1707016873874.png

This is of course not enough, so you can also resize a canvas width:

Ritaf1983_2-1707017052617.png

Pbix with examples is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

another thing, how did you add a horizontal zoom slider on top of the chart 2? mine only allows a vertical one alongside y axis....

Hi @xangetsu21 
This slider belongs to the slicer, not to the graph..

If I resize the canvas like you said, will it show as that width in the power bi web report page? I mean when i publish the report, will it show as the canvas size i provided in the webpage?

Hi @xangetsu21 
Yes, + user can manipulate it for his comfort:

Ritaf1983_0-1707054909643.png

actual size is like on desktop

Thanks for the info, but one thing more, i am the author of the repoort and i am sharing the report with a peer who is only allowed to view and share but can't make changes to the report. Can he still be able to change that view option as in the image you provided?

Yes, view options are personal for the user...
available for all roles, this functionality does not count as an edit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.