Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hyousuf9090
Regular Visitor

calculations between custom tables

hi I have no idea how to solve this please help!!

so I have data (which in its simplified form is) GeographyRevenue, Profit and Profit%. There are 5 geographies and values in other three variables are for 10 Years from 2010 to 2019. 

I want to create 3 matrices or tables. First is the period under analysis, second is the period being compared and third is the delta between two periods. 

The first two tables are easy I just use slicer on tables; one can select the period for analysis and comparison - easy. The problem is to calculate the third table with deltas of revenue, profit and profit% from first two tables (which themselves are variable and depend on slicer).

Is there any solution that exists??? Highly appreciate any help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is one way to solve this one:

1.  Make two disconnected tables with the Year values using - 

Year1 = VALUES(Geography[Year])
Year2 = VALUES(Geography[Year])
2. Make two slicers, one for each of the above (Year1[Year], Year2[Year])
3. Make a table with your Year and Geography columns.
4. Make these measures:
Revenue Year1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Revenue]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year1[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Revenue Year2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Revenue]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year2[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Profit Year 1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year1[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Profit Year 2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year2[Year]), Geography[Year])))
5. Add the Year 1 measures to the table
6. Duplicate the table, and replace with the Year 2 measures
7. Make your delta table with the Geography column and these two measures
Delta Revenue = [Revenue Year1]-[Revenue Year2]
Delta Profit = [Profit Year 1]-[Profit Year 2]

This should be the result
geography.png

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hyousuf9090 , you should be able to analyze data across a common dimension and should able to take diff also.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

hi, thanks for helping.

The sample data is:

YearGeographyRevenueProfit
2010North America10070
2010Latin America8060
2010Asia5030
2010Europe3015
2010Africa207
2011North America12095
2011Latin America150100
2011Asia180120
2011Europe5030
2011Africa3015
2012North America13580
2012Latin America12085
2012Asia8050
2012Europe4025
2012Africa3020
2013North America125100
2013Latin America10075
2013Asia9590
2013Europe8550
2013Africa5030

The two custom tables are:

using filter on year: 2010

GeographyRevenueProfitProfit%
Africa20735%
Asia503060%
Europe301550%
Latin America806075%
North America1007070%
Total28018265%

using filter on year: 2012

GeographyRevenueProfitProfit%
Africa302067%
Asia805063%
Europe402563%
Latin America1208571%
North America1358059%
Total40526064%

needed: a table of delta of values from the above two tables that updates the values as filters are changed in above two tables.

thanks!

Here is one way to solve this one:

1.  Make two disconnected tables with the Year values using - 

Year1 = VALUES(Geography[Year])
Year2 = VALUES(Geography[Year])
2. Make two slicers, one for each of the above (Year1[Year], Year2[Year])
3. Make a table with your Year and Geography columns.
4. Make these measures:
Revenue Year1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Revenue]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year1[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Revenue Year2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Revenue]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year2[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Profit Year 1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year1[Year]), Geography[Year])))
Profit Year 2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit]), KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Year2[Year]), Geography[Year])))
5. Add the Year 1 measures to the table
6. Duplicate the table, and replace with the Year 2 measures
7. Make your delta table with the Geography column and these two measures
Delta Revenue = [Revenue Year1]-[Revenue Year2]
Delta Profit = [Profit Year 1]-[Profit Year 2]

This should be the result
geography.png

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

hi thanks, what about profit% delta?

Hi @hyousuf9090 ,

Just add two more measure based on @hyousuf9090 's reply:

profit%1 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit])/SUM(Geography[Revenue]),KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Table1[Year]),Geography[Year])))

profit%2 = CALCULATE(SUM(Geography[Profit])/SUM(Geography[Revenue]),KEEPFILTERS(TREATAS(VALUES(Table2[Year]),Geography[Year])))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hyousuf9090 ,

You need to create three line and clustered column charts for each deltas of revenueprofit and profit% . Use the line to show the difference between two variables .Really can't use table or matrix to show the difference between two variables.

You should rank the table by  Geography  or group them by  Geography  then add index column for it and expand it.

Then you can use the following measure to show the deltas of revenueprofit and profit% :

Measure = ABS((SUMX(FILTER(Table,Table[rank] = MIN(Table[rank])),Table[Revenue])-SUMX(FILTER(Table,Table[rank] = MAX(Table[rank])),Table[Revenue])))

You can refer to the similar post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dynamically-calculate-differences-based-on-slicer-slection/...

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.