Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

crabcatcherAK
Regular Visitor

Year to Year change and show the % difference and count of differences with a Unique Data set.

I have this unique data set since I work for the local county government in the real estate division. All my data is basically the same base fields, just changes each year in regard to 'condition'. Here is a small example of my data set in excel. 

crabcatcherAK_1-1625601424767.png

Each year, as new data updates comes in, the only main changes on this example that would change are the CDU/qual numbers. Usually +1 or -1 from previous. Like this...

crabcatcherAK_3-1625601789332.png

I think I need to create a measure to show change. 

Almost all the videos I have watched, ask me to create a date table (from the beginning date of my entire data set, to the last day of my data set) and then link  them in my model. Done all that! 

What to do next? I have tried creating these measures and having them all available to me. 

1. 17 cdu change= sum(_2017_all_data[cdu]) 

2. '17 total cdu change Ly= calculate ([17 CDU change], sameperiodlastyear ( '5 year date table'[date])) 

3.  17diffFromLYtoTY = IF(ISBLANK([17 total CDU change LY]),BLANK(),[17 CDU change]-[17 total CDU change LY]). 

Per some videos, after creating the measures and apply the 'date table' as a filter, should show the changes of CDU, from year to year. What am I doing wrong when getting this error message? 

crabcatcherAK_4-1625601996330.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@crabcatcherAK 

You cannot sum a text column, change the data type to a number

Chech the column: 2017_all_data[cdu]

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@crabcatcherAK 

You cannot sum a text column, change the data type to a number

Chech the column: 2017_all_data[cdu]

Gotcha. Just did that. Should I be creating those same 3 measures that I did for _2017, for also _2018,_2019,_2020, and _2021 that way the values, % change y2y can be displayed? 

@crabcatcherAK 

Yes, those measures look fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.