Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

james_pbi
Frequent Visitor

Working On It

When working in my data model, whenever I make any changes the "Working On It" box appears and stops me working for up to a minute.

Is there a way to disable this - and have me accept any and all changes after I have done them all.

Note, the changes I am making are very slight - I am renaming fields.

(second note: renaming in the database, query, etc., are not options.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @james_pbi ,

You can't disable "Working on It" window in Power BI.

It is an indication for every change that you are making in your Power BI Desktop file.

Also renaming columns in Power BI is a one-by-one step if you are not doing it in Power Query Editor.

Therefore you rename a column/measure, Power then tries to apply those changes and hence that Working On It window appears. You can't do all changes in one go and then commit them.

If you want to do this in one step, you can do this for columns in Power Query Editor by adding a "Table.RenameColumns" function in your existing M-code for your source.

You can find details on this function here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-renamecolumns

For renaming a Measure you still ned to do them one-by-one.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AUaero
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

resurrecting a dead thread, but try using Tabular Editor for editing your data model.  Much, much faster than renaming columns using PBI Desktop.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @james_pbi ,

You can't disable "Working on It" window in Power BI.

It is an indication for every change that you are making in your Power BI Desktop file.

Also renaming columns in Power BI is a one-by-one step if you are not doing it in Power Query Editor.

Therefore you rename a column/measure, Power then tries to apply those changes and hence that Working On It window appears. You can't do all changes in one go and then commit them.

If you want to do this in one step, you can do this for columns in Power Query Editor by adding a "Table.RenameColumns" function in your existing M-code for your source.

You can find details on this function here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-renamecolumns

For renaming a Measure you still ned to do them one-by-one.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Many thanks for the prompt and accurate response.

(I'll look at the alternative you suggested, and modify our work process slightly.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.