Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

atreyu

WordCloud visual : is there a character limitation ?

Hello everyone,

I am reaaally new in PowerBI, so I apologize in advance and please bare with me.

What Visual I'm trying to achieve :

I am using the WordCloud visual by Microsoft to display a team's mood. I got a weekly report, a monthly and a yearly one, and the Word Cloud visual is on each page. Unfortunately, the team's members are rather talkative and instead of a single word, they often write complete sentences.

It gives something like that :

Getting sentences from everyone on FebruaryGetting sentences from everyone on February

Here the visual is filtered to show only the mood of one team member, on one specific month :

Getting sentences from one person on FebruaryGetting sentences from one person on February

And here are the settings : 

cf2cd7f4-881f-42d6-885c-844032419a75.png

c540ed97-7d99-4c54-b2c3-e62aa85376f8.png

StoryConcat = 'SourceData'[Recipient_Firstname] & " - " & 'SourceData'[Story_txt] MM_YearlyStoryTotal = CALCULATE(COUNTA('SourceData'[Story_txt]), 'SourceData'[Answered]=TRUE())I know WordCloud might not be the perfect visual to display sentences, so if you have a better idea, please do tell. I have searched and found nothing except for text formatters.

The issue I encountered :

I came running to an issue wich is the number of characters per "Word" (or sentence in my case) :

Some longer sentences are not appearing on the WordCloud. Here is my SharePoint online list (which is the data source) and the table in PowerBI, filtered on one user, for February 2024 :

Data in PowerBIData in PowerBI

Data in the Data Source : SharePoint online listData in the Data Source : SharePoint online list

In red, the sentences are the ones missing. You can tell they are quite long. On the word cloud, you can only see the two sentences outlined in green (see second screenshot)

I don't see anywhere in the WordCloud settings a setting about character limitation. I haven't find anything about it on the GitHub repo either.

So, please do you have an idea of the maximum number of character allowed in Word Cloud visual ? Do you have any idea how to workaround it ?
Thanks a lot 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

So with the word cloud, you need to split your column into new rows on the "space" character in Power Query. You can do this by right clicking the column and selecting split by delimiter and setting it to space. I think the "to new rows" is under advanced if I recall. It's a word cloud, not a sentence cloud! 🙂

Hi @christinepayton and thanks for the time and interest you took in my case 🙂
I can't activate the "break-words" settings, because the complete sentences would lose their interest.
I am aware Word Cloud is not initially the visual to display complete sentences, so if you have any other visuals in mind, it would be really appreciated 🙂
Thanks again !

You need to break or somehow classify the text in order to ever have a "count" greater than 1 - the purpose of the visuals is to aggregate data, so counting the ideas that are more popular or similar. If you just have completely unique text snippets you want to display on a page, Power BI isn't really the tool of choice for that... but you could use AI and/or Python to classify the text into categories, or to break up the sentences into phrases and then count. It's not about the visual choice per se but what you do with the raw data you have. 

v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @atreyu ,

I hope this link is helpful to you:help.mentimeter.com

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-tianyich-msft ,
First of all thank you for the time and interest you took on my issue 😉
Unfortunately, what you are proposing is a Word Cloud on another platform ? It is not a Power BI visual, and well, it is the same as the Word Cloud visual for Power BI : a Word Cloud and not a "sentence" cloud.

What I really need is to know if there is a character limitation on Word Cloud visual, and if we can workaround it. Thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.