Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickjH

Will my custom column data match the API returned data row?

Obligatory disclaimer that I am totally new to using Power BI. I am actually creating a spread sheet in excel using a rest api for my data source and I can get the data from the source no problem but my issue is:

Once my data is returned I want to add some custom comments to each row in a customer column, however, each time I refresh my data the rows might change slightly. So I suspect that I run the risk of my custom comments being out of sync with my api data rows (the comment against row 40 might now be on row 41) 

a) am I right in thinking this?

b) How do I account for this?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @NickjH ,

if you mean that when you changes some comments in the source you're reading from and refreshed in power bi will the data change as per your changes, yes it will change because power query re-imports the data whenever you refresh, and if there's changes that you've made in power query then it will also be applied as per the steps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NickjH

Hi @Idrissshatila 

Thanks for your reply. What I mean is the I have a sheep where I have pulled data from an appi but I have also added a custom column to my excel spreadsheet. My concern is that if I add data to my custom column. then when the api data is refreshed the data will just populate in numerical order and will change the rows so my custom data is now incorrect. I have an example below to try and explain as Im not explaining it well in words

first data import from the api:

customColumn       apiDataColumn

red                          111

green                      222

blue                        444

Second data import from the api now has a new row. So will my data in my spreadsheet show a):

blue                        444

or will it show b):

blue                        333

I suspect it will show b as how will it know that the customColumn data matches the apiDataColumn data as there is now relationship. 

If b is the case then how can I establish that relationship?

Thanks for any comments

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @NickjH ,

if you mean that when you changes some comments in the source you're reading from and refreshed in power bi will the data change as per your changes, yes it will change because power query re-imports the data whenever you refresh, and if there's changes that you've made in power query then it will also be applied as per the steps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.