Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ADTOR

Why is my dashboard creating "new" everytime I download to the desktop?

Hello,

I have used Power Query in the desktop app to create a dashboard and completed it in the online app. Each week when I upload a new file in sharepoint, I have to go into the online app and select "File, Dowload Report Preview" to open up in the desktop app. I then have to refresh in the desktop app and refresh and publish for the online app to reflect the new data. Doing so creates a new dash board each week. So, it will now instead of being the Title it is Title (1), second week Title (1) (1) and so on. 

How can I ensure the newest data set is updated in the power bi without creating a "new" link?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ADTOR 

What is the source of your data? (Excel, DW...)
You say you " used Power Query in the desktop app to create a dashboard and completed it in the online app" . Does that mean you created your visuals in the online service?

If you create your report on the Desktop, with the data source connected to your PBIX file, you then upload it to the service. Once you've done this, you can open this file in your Desktop, refresh the data so it fetches the latest dataset, and up load it to the service: it will update your online report. BUT, this is the "manual" way of doing this.

As @amitchandak  poitns out, the whole process can be made automatic by using a Gateway:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/ 

Furthermore, if your data source is an excel or CSV file, and you can store it on OneDrive (for Business), the data will be updated automatically (providing the data source is the "same" file name and structure) about once an hour. (There is a setting you have to turn on in the service under settings/datatsets to do so, and your Power BI credentials must be the same as your OneDrive's). You don't need a Gateway this way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ADTOR 

What is the source of your data? (Excel, DW...)
You say you " used Power Query in the desktop app to create a dashboard and completed it in the online app" . Does that mean you created your visuals in the online service?

If you create your report on the Desktop, with the data source connected to your PBIX file, you then upload it to the service. Once you've done this, you can open this file in your Desktop, refresh the data so it fetches the latest dataset, and up load it to the service: it will update your online report. BUT, this is the "manual" way of doing this.

As @amitchandak  poitns out, the whole process can be made automatic by using a Gateway:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/ 

Furthermore, if your data source is an excel or CSV file, and you can store it on OneDrive (for Business), the data will be updated automatically (providing the data source is the "same" file name and structure) about once an hour. (There is a setting you have to turn on in the service under settings/datatsets to do so, and your Power BI credentials must be the same as your OneDrive's). You don't need a Gateway this way.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Wow, it worked! I used the "manual" way. Thank you so much! I am new to Power BI so I will do some learning on Gateway next. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

see if you can schedule it using on premise gateway

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.