Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

songogeta32
Helper I
Helper I

Why Google Big Query connector is throwing ODBC error if I am not using ODBC connector in powerBI

I am using Google Big Query connector to connect to PowerBI then why I am getting an error related to ODBC. I have Simba ODBC driver installed in my azure vm but I am not using it. Is Google Big Query connector internally using Simba ODBC driver. But i noticed even If I uninstall ODBC driver then also Google Big Query connector works fine. 

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (310) Storage API Error: Error: { code: UNKNOWN, message: Stream removed }. '.

5 REPLIES 5
vs_7
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

hi @songogeta32 ,

check below steps

1. Check Network Connectivity: Ensure that your Azure VM has stable and reliable network connectivity to Google BigQuery. Network issues can sometimes cause intermittent errors.
  1. Verify Data Source Accessibility: Make sure that the data source in Google BigQuery is accessible and that there are no permissions or access control issues preventing Power BI from retrieving the data.
  1. Review Google BigQuery Service Status: Check the Google Cloud Status Dashboard to see if there are any ongoing issues with Google BigQuery that might be affecting your ability to connect.
  1. Update Power BI and Connector: Ensure that you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop and the Google BigQuery connector. Updates often include bug fixes and performance improvements that might resolve your issue.

I think you didnt understand the question. My question is does Google BigQuery connector internally uses Simba ODBC driver to get data?

Hi @songogeta32 ,

First of all, many thanks to @vs_7  for your very quick replies.

As far as I know, the Google BigQuery connector does not use an ODBC driver, Power BI provides an ODBC connector and you need to install the ODBC driver before using it.

An Ole DB connection is a type of connection used by Microsoft Power BI to access data from a variety of databases and data sources. An ODBC connection is a type of data connection used by Power BI to access data from an ODBC-compliant data source.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes It seems the issue is from OLE DB side and Google is aware about the issue. The solution they provided is to implement retries in Google BigQuery connector when doing RPC calls. How to file this as a bug for Micrsoft team?

Hi @songogeta32 ,

You could submit an idea in this site: Home (microsoft.com) , this issue is not considered a bug.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.