Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Alfred_Lee
Frequent Visitor

When using direct query in Power BI, some columns are not loaded properly.

Hi,

When I tried to use direct query to load data into Power BI desktop, I found that some columns' data type are considered as "Binary" (In Power Query Page), which is incorrect:

As you can see, "returned_order" should be "whole number" instead of "Binary"

Alfred_Lee_2-1705431178962.png

And when I "close and apply", the "returned_order" column will be missing from my data field.

Alfred_Lee_1-1705431155777.png

Note: Direct query won't allow me to change data type.

Any idea why this happened?

3 REPLIES 3
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Alfred_Lee 

There could be a few different causes but it sounds like it could be one of two issues:

1. DirectQuery has some limitations, in particular with regard to transformation of data fields; and
  2. The source field is binary, not a whole number. 

Check the data format in your source to ensure it's the format you want (i.e. if source field if binary, see if you can have it changed to whole number). Alternatively, if the source is a whole number but Power BI is still reading it as binary, make sure your database drivers are up to date.

I hope one or the other helps with the above.

All the best!

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Hi @TheoC ,

Thank you for replying. The data source is whole number for that field. And I didn't do any kind of transformation (I tried to change to whole number but it will break direct query, so I quit). It just automatically happened, that make me confused.

@Alfred_Lee  - my apologies! I misunderstood.

Okay, given Power BI is making the changes without reasoning, have you checked the drivers to ensure that they're all up to date?

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.