Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TPista
Regular Visitor

What is the best way to create a monthly trend line over a columns chart?

I have my columns chart which displays several security KPIs, all of them are percentages. I want to set a separate trend line on each one of them. Please refer to the following image:

TPista_0-1716221278479.png

These are 4 KPIs, all saved in the same table. Each percentage represents a value at a given month. Light blue for january, dark blue for february and orange for march.

This is the data im using for this report:

TPista_1-1716221438693.png

Where:

ENE-24 are the percentages of all kpis for the month of january

FEB-24 are the percentages of all kpis for the month of february

MAR-24 are the percentages of all kpis for the month of march

Indicadores are all the KPI names.

Do I need to create a measure on power bi or in the data sheet (excel) where im extracting the values?

Ideally this is how it should look like:

TPista_2-1716221646960.png

Thank you in advance

3 REPLIES 3
CMajka8
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, indeed. Ed's method in the linked blog is the best method I have come across. It's easy to implement and dynamic. Hope it helps

https://www.ehansalytics.com/blog/2019/3/17/create-a-dynamic-date-table-in-power-query

CMajka8
Helper I
Helper I

I would consider using small multiples here so that the time [month] can be on the X axis. You will probably want to create a proper date table as well, if you don't have one already. 

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Do you have any resources that I can check in order to understand how to create a proper date table for this case? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.