Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

reubwork
Advocate I
Advocate I

What do I do with "This report contains a custom visual that needs to be saved"?

I manage a Power BI tenancy. To review a colleague's work I've downloaded their report. 

Power BI Desktop shows the message; 

"This report contains a custom visual that needs to be saved. Planning to work offline? Save it first, while you're online."

Which visual? What does it mean by "saved"? Am I meant to figure out which custom visual it is, go find it in the marketplace and save it myself? 

reubwork_0-1695638858754.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jeanxyz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

That means the report developer has imported some visual from the market, sometimes, the imported visual is not used any more in the report. I have seem this kind of message in my own report. I simply ignored it as all my visuals are appearing correctly. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
magibson
Regular Visitor

Are you using the new PBIP project format? I'm running into the same thing and it looks (https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-with-Git-Is-Visual-Studio-code-mandatory/...) as if there may be an issue with the combination of this Preview feature and custom visuals?

i.e. Something to do with the Power Automate visual that was previously a CustomViz and is now a standard. 

I have PBIP enabled, but not using it yet. I'm waiting for full TMDL support in Desktop before switching over. 

reubwork
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks, that makes sense. 

Jeanxyz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

That means the report developer has imported some visual from the market, sometimes, the imported visual is not used any more in the report. I have seem this kind of message in my own report. I simply ignored it as all my visuals are appearing correctly. 

PBIDevFW
Frequent Visitor

And of course nobody has a solution. A lot of talking with no answers.

Why so complain? Most of people reply because they are interested in the topic. I have raised over 100 questions in this community, about 90% of them were solved in the end. 

jjudy
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same issue and no Save prompt. How do I determine which visualization is the one that needs to be saved? This is especially troubling because the report uses only stock visuals and I'm the one who built it so there's no transfer. 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @reubwork ,

When you download a colleague’s report in Power BI Desktop, you may encounter a message that says "This report contains a custom visual that needs to be saved. Planning to work offline? Save it first, while you’re online.". This message indicates that the report contains a custom visual that is not available in the default Power BI visuals library.

To resolve this issue, you need to save the custom visual to your local machine. You can do this by clicking on the “Save” button in the message box. Once you have saved the custom visual, it will be available for use in your report even when you are offline.

More details about custom visuals, please refer to

What are custom visuals in Power BI and where can I get them?

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Sorry, but really poor explanation. 

Hi,

I don't know what you mean by "the save button in the message box". I showed a screenshot above... there isn't a Save button. 

?

foodd
Super User
Super User

What is your question? What have you tried and where are you stuck?

His questions were clear. What do you mean what is your question? Did you read the post? Couldn't be clearer.

My question is - what am I supposed to do to resolve the alert message? 

I have no idea what to try because I don't know what it means. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.