Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GTR
Helper III
Helper III

Weighted Average Slicer Selection

Hey everyone, I am running into issues trying to create a DAX formula using a parameter table that changes the weighted average calculation with the click of a slicer option.

I want to give the option to the users of selecting different weights of six scores. For example:

Slicer Option 1 = Score 1 accounts for 50% of the Weighted Average (WA). 

Score 2 through 6 account for 10% of the WA calculation.

Slicer Option 2 = Score 1 .... 25% WA

Score 2 .... 15%

Score 3 .... 5%

Score 4 .... 10%

Score 5 .... 30%

Score 6 .... 5%

Slicer Option 3..... you get the idea.

What would be really cool is if the users can enter their own weights as long as it adds up to 100% but as far as I know, that can only be done using regular excel. 

Is there a way to achieve this? I was able to do some research and use a blog post from @SqlJason to try to use the parameter table approach but I am not sure how to define the weighted averages for this approach. 

http://sqljason.com/2012/11/measure-selection-using-slicers-in.html

Any sugggestions on how I should go about this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Since you just have 5-6 options, you can make measures for each option. Once you have made those 5-6 measures, you can use the technique I described in my blog straightaway.

Although if it was excel, I think I would have done it differently as I can actually enter the values that I want for the weights

I have made 5 measures for each option in my FACT table but it returns an error in the msr_value calculation:

"the sum function only accepts a column reference as the argument number 1"

MSR_VALUE: = SWITCH( TRUE,
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=1,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_1]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=2,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_2]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=3,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_3]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=4,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_4]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=5,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_5]))

SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You already have the measures, so you don't need to wrap SUM around it. It should just be [Measure_1]and not sum(Fact[Measure_1])

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.