Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GTR
Helper III
Helper III

Weighted Average Slicer Selection

Hey everyone, I am running into issues trying to create a DAX formula using a parameter table that changes the weighted average calculation with the click of a slicer option.

I want to give the option to the users of selecting different weights of six scores. For example:

Slicer Option 1 = Score 1 accounts for 50% of the Weighted Average (WA). 

Score 2 through 6 account for 10% of the WA calculation.

Slicer Option 2 = Score 1 .... 25% WA

Score 2 .... 15%

Score 3 .... 5%

Score 4 .... 10%

Score 5 .... 30%

Score 6 .... 5%

Slicer Option 3..... you get the idea.

What would be really cool is if the users can enter their own weights as long as it adds up to 100% but as far as I know, that can only be done using regular excel. 

Is there a way to achieve this? I was able to do some research and use a blog post from @SqlJason to try to use the parameter table approach but I am not sure how to define the weighted averages for this approach. 

http://sqljason.com/2012/11/measure-selection-using-slicers-in.html

Any sugggestions on how I should go about this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Since you just have 5-6 options, you can make measures for each option. Once you have made those 5-6 measures, you can use the technique I described in my blog straightaway.

Although if it was excel, I think I would have done it differently as I can actually enter the values that I want for the weights

I have made 5 measures for each option in my FACT table but it returns an error in the msr_value calculation:

"the sum function only accepts a column reference as the argument number 1"

MSR_VALUE: = SWITCH( TRUE,
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=1,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_1]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=2,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_2]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=3,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_3]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=4,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_4]),
MIN(MSR[MSR_ID])=5,
   SUM(FACT[MEASURE_5]))

SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

You already have the measures, so you don't need to wrap SUM around it. It should just be [Measure_1]and not sum(Fact[Measure_1])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.