Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VisualHelp - Bar with annotations and color gradients

Hello,

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on how I might be able to recreate the following visual in Power BI?

2020-04-27 16_12_47-Wanzek Portal Wanzek Home.png

I have the need for 3 values to be called out (threshold, target, max) and then to display the current value along with color gradients denoting the seperation of values (as shown above).  The challenges I face are that the current value can be BELOW the threshold and above the MAX and most visuals are manual scale or automatic scale.  I've played around with a lot of different visuals and the closest I could come up with was an annotated bar visual by queryon.  This worked well, but there are a few issues for example when the value drops below the threshold or max the current value no longer displays (due to fixed scale axis, automatic scale always goes from 0 to 100 which does not work).  Also, the visual randomly changed how it was displaying on reports. Here is what I was able to create (notice I have 4 color gradients):

2020-04-27 16_15_21-Company Insights - Power BI.png

Does anyone have ideas on other ways I can create this type of visual?  Either from out of box or custom visuals.  My problem with the annotated bar is that it now randonly shows the actual value overriding all the color gradients I had in place, here is an example. Before today, this visual showed like the visual above, but today the actual color is on the foreground of all the other color gradients. 

2020-04-27 16_18_09-Company Insights - Power BI.png

How are others creating a bar graph with color gradients and labeling, any thoughts or insights appreciated as I would think this is a fairly common need.

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please provide some sample data(exclude sensitive data)? And threshold, target and max are the actual fields in the table or measure/calculated column? 

In addition, could you please check if the methods in the following documentations are applicable for your scenario.

Conditional formatting for visualizations

Dynamically Change Bar Cluster Column Chart Color

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Threshold, target and max are fixed values defined in measures. 

Measure definitions:

Threshold = 40

Target = 60

Max = 70

Actual is a calculated value in a measure, but I'm assuming you could reproduce by just using a fixed measure value.

Actual = 60

I've attached a sample and conditional formatting hasn't been successful for me though I'm open to suggestions on what I might be doing wrong. I dont' want a dynamic color change, I want a background with the color gradients and a bar showing the current value.  

AnnotatedBar.pbix 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm sorry I didn't find a suitable visual to achieve your requirement. Maybe you can contact custom visual support team ask for help.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.