Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

habulbul
Employee
Employee

Hours (Text) greater than 24 when converted to duration type throws error.

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to represent a total time value, strictly in hours and minutes, powerBI throws an error.
I'd assume the Duration type to be programmed separately to the Time type but both think 23:59 is the absolute limit for how much time a cell can have.
I had instances where the hours are well above 100 but haven't had the need to make a report on average time for these , now I need to use this information to make a chart.
Indeed I could work on excel to modify the values to be more suitable, however the excel itself is exported from one of our tools, thus would require editing every single time I extract a new report.
I'm hoping to have this resolved through powerBI to have the raw data automatically converted from text to hour:minutes.

Thanks in advance for any attention 🙂

Please see below the values:

image.png

4 REPLIES 4

Hello Amit, Thank you for the response. I've checked the post, also downloaded the pbix file to see if I can extract any formula, however I'm at a loss.
My knowledge on powerBI is at a "learn by trial" level so I might be missing something, though I'm not certain what to do with the information within that post.
I have already reviewed several other posts prior to posting my question, however many of those were referring to days or  calculating a total.
The general idea I've obtained so far on what could be a possible solution, is that there ought to be a formula which when inserted creates a new column in total hours and not hours of the day.
I might also be totally off.

Also, the values are as text, so there's that as well.

Hello, @habulbul

Have you referred to this related post?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Duration-more-than-24-hours-transform-duration-column-to-DD...

Best regards
Community Support Team _ Eason

Thank you.

Unfortunately, after changing the column name I got the following error:

Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.
Details:
[List]

When I remove the last arggument, I get the following error:

Expression.Error: 3 arguments were passed to a function which expects 4.
Details:
Pattern=
Arguments=[List]

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.