Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DN811

Visual filtering by using bar charts

Hello everybody,

currently I'm facing an issue concerning the filtration of data using bar charts in general.

Imagine that there are items or data in certain levels of functional locations. Let's call the first level XXX, the second one YYY and the third one ZZZ. The visual which shows the currently selected data is a normal table with the name of the item, its location (XXX-YYY-ZZZ) and the cost due to this item, so far so good.

Now, I created three different bar charts:

The first one has the amount of costs on the x-axis and the name of the first level (XXX) on the y-axis with its specific costs.

The second one has the amount of costs on the x-axis and (shall) has the name of the second level (YYY) (depending on the choice of the first level) on the y-axis with its specific costs.

And finally the third one has the amount of costs on the x-axis and (shall) has the name of the third level (ZZZ) (depending on the choice of the second level) on the y-axis with its specific costs.

Each visual shows only the top 10 "bad actors" of each functional location on each level (=1st visual: Top 10 Bad Actors Lvl 1; 2nd visual: Top 10 Bad Actors Lvl 2; 3rd visual: Top 10 Bad Actors Lvl 3) And finally the table shows the items depending on the selection of the appropriate location.

After selecting the appropriate level 1 (e.g. PET), the other two visuals are changing so that they are just showing the top 10 bad actors of level 2 (resp. level 3) which are also have the appropriate level 1 (=PET). The issue which I'm facing is that when I want to analyze my data more deeply and select another level (e.g. GAR) in the level 2 chart (2nd visual), the visuals should change as follows: 1st visual shows the portion of costs due to this functional location and 3rd visual only shows the top 10 bad actors on level 3 which have the functional location PET-GAR-ZZZ. But the filtration of my level 1 is deleted when selecting a bar in the level 2 visual.

I hope that you could understand my point. If not, try to explain which part of the problem description is confusing.

Thank you!

Dennis

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@DN811

If I understand your case correctly, the interaction between visuals is not support that behavior in your description.

Try a hierarchy slicer instead.

Using the hierarchy slicer would work but I want to control my table by selecting the appropriate bars in a bar chart or funnel. The reason is that the overview about all other levels is also visible when selecting another level topic. And when selecting a lower level (2 or 3), the appropraite part of level 1 costs are highlighted.

In my eyes, the problem is that after selecting a level 1 topic, and then clicking on a level 2 topic, the level 1 topic filter is overwritten or deleted which causes that the level 2 topic are changed as well and the whole filters are reset which is actually not desired.

I'm looking for a solution to choose a level 1 filter by selecting an appropriate bar in that chart, then selecting an appropriate level 2 filter in another chart. The selected level 2 filter should be highlighted in the level 1 chart and the level 3 filter should be adapted. And finally, if a level 3 filter is selected, the costs should be highlighted in the level 1 and 2 chart.

Need help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find a way to do this, Im looking for the same feature, this is standard in Qlik Sense which im more used to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.