Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Variance Calculation

Hello,

I created a measure to estimate the variance between "Actual" and "Budget" expenses. The equation is

Variance = calculate([EBITDA], filter('values',[EBITDA]<>0),filter('values','values'[Scenario] = "Actual")) - calculate([EBITDA], filter('values',[EBITDA]<>0),filter('values','values'[Scenario] = "Budget"))

The data table example:

AccountScenarioValuesGDR Type
1000Actual100COR
1000Budget100COR
1000Actual100Revenue
1000Budget100Revenue

The measures created:

EBITDA = [Gross Profit]-[SGA]
SGA = SUM('values'[SGA Value])
Revenue = sum('values'[Revenue Value])

The variance calculation in the measure works well but how do I create a Viz with Actual, budget, and variance in one matrix?
AccountActualBudgetVariance

I have two viz one with Actuals and Budget and the other with variance only. The Actual and Budget have Ebitda.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Did not get it completely. But if you do want variance as roe you have to something like this

Union (
Summarize(filter(Table,Sceniro="Budget"),Table[Account],"Name","Budget","Value",Sum(Table[Value])),
Summarize(filter(Table,Sceniro="Actual"),Table[Account],"Name","Actual","Value",Sum(Table[Value])),
Summarize(Table,Table[Account],"Name","Variance","Value",Sumx(Table,if(Sceniro="Actual",-1*Table[Value],1*Table[Value])))
)

Or better

Union (
Summarize(Table,Table[Account],Table[Scenario],"Value",Sum(Table[Value])),
Summarize(Table,Table[Account],"Scenario","Variance","Value",Sumx(Table,if(Sceniro="Actual",-1*Table[Value],1*Table[Value])))
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the confusion. To further clarify: I am trying to get Actual, Budget, and Variance in one table.

To display Actual and Budget, I am using EBITDA = [Gross Profit]-[SGA] measure but for variance, I am using Variance = calculate([EBITDA], filter('values',[EBITDA]<>0),filter('values','values'[Scenario] = "Actual")) - calculate([EBITDA], filter('values',[EBITDA]<>0),filter('values','values'[Scenario] = "Budget")) measure.

Due to two different measures, I end up getting two different Viz. One for Actual and Budget and one for Variance. I want all of these two to be in one Viz.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.