Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Values comparision number to text

Hi,

Can any one help for below error?

In excel I have a valid price column and in that column has $amount and “Contract not started” comments, but when  I try to replicate below formula in power bi  I am getting below error.

Start Date = IF([Valid Price]="CONTRACT NOT STARTED","N","Y")

Data Type for valid price in power bi =Decimal

DAX comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Number with values of type Text. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The data type of column [Valid Price] cannot be whole number or decimal if you have any rows with "Contract Not Yet Started". It would have to be text. I guess you don't have any rows that have that value?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @tejapowerbi123

It is not allowed to compare text and numbers. 

Maybe use a number code for "CONTRACT NOT STARTED", like a negative number that I guess wont come up in prices? 

I tried below,

Start Date = IF([Valid Price]=" ","N","Y")

but getting the same error.

@tejapowerbi123

Sure, you're still doing the same, comparing a number to text. 

You could use the query editor to easily replace all occurrences of your text string with a number

Hi AIB,

problem is that VALID PRICE is a calculated column and i am not able to see in QUERY EDITOR.

@tejapowerbi123

Hang on, I'm getting confused here. If it's a calculated column,  how have you been able to create one with numbers and text? What type is that column?

Hi,

Please see below forumula 

Valid Price1 = IF((' Contracts'[Start Year]+[ Start Month]/12)<=([AUP Current Year]+[AUP Current Month]/12),[Monthly Discounted Price]&"" ,"Contract Not Yet Started")

***All columns data type is whole number,

The data type of column [Valid Price] cannot be whole number or decimal if you have any rows with "Contract Not Yet Started". It would have to be text. I guess you don't have any rows that have that value?

thank you so much AIB and Alexis i will share PBIX as soon as i can.Thanks

Hello Alexis & AIB,

Thank you so much for your suggestion.I have changed the "Contract Not Yeat Started" to 00000 and that works for me.

@tejapowerbi123

is this not text?? The concatenation [Monthly Discounted Price] & "" should produce text

Maybe it'd be quicker if you shared your pbix 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.