Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Value from another (many-to-many)-related table based on date with timerange

Hi, 

I have two tables (Table1 and Table2) which are in a Many to Many relation using the ID as key. 

Table1 is my table of employees and their duties. Table2 is my table with assignments. 

I want to see which employees are on duty for the assignments. Meaning the time of the assignment in table2 is within the FirstLogin and Lastlogout for the employee in table1. 

The result shoould be something like "NameIDAll, NameID1.." etc. in table2.

Ultimatively, I want to calculate the number of fines based on if the employee was in duty (logged in) and now it calculates two fines for John, Peter and Anne although Anne wasnt on logged in when the two fines happened. 

Udklip.JPG

Thanks! 

Mikkel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Mlchri,

The measure is hard to split column dynamically, so I think you could achieve this in M code, you could try below M code and refer to my sample to see whether it work or not

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table (2)", {"id"}, #"Table", {"id"}, "Table", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table", {"id", "name", "nameid", "firstlogin", "lastlogin"}, {"Table.id", "Table.name", "Table.nameid", "Table.firstlogin", "Table.lastlogin"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table", "Custom", each if [assignment]<[Table.lastlogin] and [assignment]>[Table.firstlogin] then [Table.nameid] else null),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Table.id", "Table.name", "Table.nameid", "Table.firstlogin", "Table.lastlogin"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"id", "assignmentid"}, {{"sum",  each Text.Combine([Custom],","), type text}, {"all", each _, type table [id=number, assignmentid=number, assignment=datetime, finddate=datetime, Custom=text]}}),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "all", {"assignment", "finddate", "Custom"}, {"all.assignment", "all.finddate", "all.Custom"}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded all",{"all.Custom"}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "sum", "sum - Copy"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "sum - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"sum - Copy.1", "sum - Copy.2", "sum - Copy.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"sum - Copy.1", Int64.Type}, {"sum - Copy.2", Int64.Type}, {"sum - Copy.3", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Changed Type1")
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Mlchri,

The measure is hard to split column dynamically, so I think you could achieve this in M code, you could try below M code and refer to my sample to see whether it work or not

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table (2)", {"id"}, #"Table", {"id"}, "Table", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table", {"id", "name", "nameid", "firstlogin", "lastlogin"}, {"Table.id", "Table.name", "Table.nameid", "Table.firstlogin", "Table.lastlogin"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table", "Custom", each if [assignment]<[Table.lastlogin] and [assignment]>[Table.firstlogin] then [Table.nameid] else null),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Table.id", "Table.name", "Table.nameid", "Table.firstlogin", "Table.lastlogin"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"id", "assignmentid"}, {{"sum",  each Text.Combine([Custom],","), type text}, {"all", each _, type table [id=number, assignmentid=number, assignment=datetime, finddate=datetime, Custom=text]}}),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "all", {"assignment", "finddate", "Custom"}, {"all.assignment", "all.finddate", "all.Custom"}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded all",{"all.Custom"}),
    #"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "sum", "sum - Copy"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "sum - Copy", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"sum - Copy.1", "sum - Copy.2", "sum - Copy.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"sum - Copy.1", Int64.Type}, {"sum - Copy.2", Int64.Type}, {"sum - Copy.3", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Changed Type1")
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dax ,

Thanks!

It works perfectly with some small adjustments to my own dataset, which is far more complex. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.