Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

alindquist
Helper II
Helper II

Value Associated With Max Value From Another Column

I have two tables, a table of orders and a table of parts associated with those orders, with a many-to-one relationship; there can be many parts associated with a single order. Here is a sample set of data:

Orders

OrderNum

Parts

OrderNumPartNumSeqExpectedDate
1ABC110/10/2021
1DEF210/16/2021
1GHI310/13/2021
2XYZ110/17/2021
2AAA210/11/2021
3BBB110/10/2021
3JKL210/12/2021
3ZZZ310/12/2021

I have an measure like Max Expected Date = MAX('Parts'[ExpectedDate]) to determine the latest expected date for each order, which returns a table like:

OrderNumMax Expected Date
110/16/2021
210/17/2021
310/12/2021

Now I would like to return the part number associated with that max expected date. If there are multiple parts with the same max expected date for a single order, then I want to return the part number with the lowest Seq value. For example, for order 3 there are 2 parts with an expected date equal to the max expected date, so I would need to return part JKL because of those two parts it has the lowest Seq value.

The desired output would be:

OrderNumMax Expected DateMax Expected Date Part Number
110/16/2021DEF
210/17/2021XYZ
310/12/2021JKL

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@alindquist here is the measure:

Latest Part = 
VAR __LatestExpectedDate = MAX ( Parts[ExpectedDate] )
VAR __EarliestSequence = CALCULATE ( MIN ( Parts[Seq] ), Parts[ExpectedDate] = __LatestExpectedDate )
RETURN
CALCULATE ( 
    MAX ( Parts[PartNum] ), 
    Parts[ExpectedDate] = __LatestExpectedDate, 
    Parts[Seq] = __EarliestSequence 
)

output

parry2k_0-1633627219256.png

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

There are quite a number of ways to do this.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52525377/return-top-value-ordered-by-another-column

I'm not sure what version is considered "best practice".

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@alindquist here is the measure:

Latest Part = 
VAR __LatestExpectedDate = MAX ( Parts[ExpectedDate] )
VAR __EarliestSequence = CALCULATE ( MIN ( Parts[Seq] ), Parts[ExpectedDate] = __LatestExpectedDate )
RETURN
CALCULATE ( 
    MAX ( Parts[PartNum] ), 
    Parts[ExpectedDate] = __LatestExpectedDate, 
    Parts[Seq] = __EarliestSequence 
)

output

parry2k_0-1633627219256.png

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@alindquist for order #3, why you will have JLK, not ZZZ, both orders have the latest date? What is the logic to pick one over another?

@parry2k I only want to return a single part. Logic in this case would be to select the part with the lowest Seq value. Part JKL and ZZZ both have a max expected date of 10/12/2021, so I would return JKL because it has the lower Seq value (2) compared to the Seq value for ZZZ (3).

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.