Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Daveyt69
Regular Visitor

Using Monthly Totals in Matrix in a further measure

Powerbi.JPG

Hello

I am hoping someone can help me with this I have spent the last few days, on and off, trying to find a solution to this here and I am assuming there is a simple solution that is escaping me.

I am simply trying to use the monthly column total highlighted in the attached screenshot in new measure.

Sounds simple right…. However, every time I use the following measure

TotalMonthlyPass = CALCULATE (SUM ('Test Event'[TEST_PASS]), ALLSELECTED ('Test Event'))

I get the overall total for all test passes regardless of how the matrix is split by date. I think I follow why I am getting this but I need the total for the month in question only as I plan to use this in future measures.

I know this is probably a simple thing to do but I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daveyt69 ,

You need a independent table to be a slicer.

slicer =
SELECTCOLUMNS ( test, "date", test[date] )

And your measure is like the following code:

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'test'[Pass] ),
    FILTER (
        test,
        test[date] <= MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( slicer[date] ), slicer[date] )
    )
)

Here is the result.
3-1.PNG3-2.PNG

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daveyt69 ,

You need a independent table to be a slicer.

slicer =
SELECTCOLUMNS ( test, "date", test[date] )

And your measure is like the following code:

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'test'[Pass] ),
    FILTER (
        test,
        test[date] <= MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( slicer[date] ), slicer[date] )
    )
)

Here is the result.
3-1.PNG3-2.PNG

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks EadsSmiley Happy

Ramyzo
Helper II
Helper II

Greeting David 

To undrestand your problem , when you use that command , it give you the total measures but when u split it with date it keep showing the same Results right ? always show you the total measure ? 

Kind regards 

Hi Ramyzo

Thanks for getting back so quick.

Yes .  Looking at my screen shot when I use the measure it gives me the total for January (73652) plus February  (66459) added together and I assume if I had more months data it would give me the total for every month added together.  What I really need is each month's column total so I can use them in future measures. So for January I need just the 73652 figure and a seperate figure for February and so on as more and more data gets added.  This rep[ort will eventually look  at whatever testing period is needed but I've only got two months data so far.

Cheers

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.