Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joaoguedes
Regular Visitor

Using Import data from SAP BW with Power BI is too slow

Path:

Database -> SAP Business Warehouse Application Server -> Connect

When I use "Import" from SAP BW Application Server and choose all the characteristics and key figures that are shown in my InfoArea/Cube/Query and press "Load", it's takes forever to run and never finishes.

What I am doing wrong ?

Import is not for this proposal ?

9 REPLIES 9
joehigab
Regular Visitor

Same problem here. this is quite a big limitation for me in PBI. I hope they can fix it soon.

at least there is no need to load each dimension when you click on it, maybe choose all dimensions then apply to update once for all....

Janel
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I need to solve this one, too.  I am only able to pull in very limited data, as in, not enough to do any reporting on.  Anytime I try to pull more it errors out.  

Janel

avdutta
Frequent Visitor

It may be because the BEX query itself takes long time to execute  or it is executing/fetching huge set of data. Please test your query using AFO and if require apply some more filters on the query for firster execution.

Hi @avdutta, what is AFO ?

Is there a limit of the data that Power BI can pull from SAP BW ?

My BEx Query has a lot of records, but should that works fine on Power BI ?

or 

Is there a limit of the data that Power BI can pull from SAP BW ?

Hi,

AFO is SAP Analysis for Office tool. You can test your query at AFO or RSRT. 

Maximum size it allows is 1 GB.

But we must understand that Power BI is not ment for a tabular reporting solution which will display 1 GB of data. You must add some filter/variable and bring aggregated data into Power BI and display using the visualizations.

And how can I know how much is the size of my data ?

Even if I use filter in my query at me time I choose the key figures and characteristics, Power BI can't display the data.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joaoguedes,

There is nothing special in the process. The cause could be in other parts.
1. Please upgrade to the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

2. What's the size of the whole data source?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

1. Please upgrade to the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

What is the link ?

2. What's the size of the whole data source?

Less than 1 million.

It's seems that when it's comes to Import data from SAP BW, Power BI can't do as quickly as SAP Lumira, but SAP Lumira has limitation in line limit (500 thousands).

Hi @joaoguedes,

Here is the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.