Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mutrax
Regular Visitor

Using ISO format in date slicer

Hi,

I have this field DateOpen that's defined with the "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM" format in the dataset.  When the field is displayed in a table or a card, it appears with the right formatting.

However, I also use this field in a date slicer and when published to the Web Service, the slicer will display the min/max dates using the browser's local standard.  So, for some user it will be "DD/MM/YYYY"  and for other users it will be "MM/DD/YYYY". 

Is it possible to 'force' the date slicer to use the ISO format as defined in the dataset, regardless of the local date/time format of the client ?

Thanks !!

5 REPLIES 5
adityakumar619
Helper II
Helper II

Do we have any possible resolution for this issue as i can see so many Powerbi Users faces this senario?

Let us know if anyone has better solution for this.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mutrax 

I think your problem is that show different date format in Power BI Service.

The issue is caused by a combination of the settings in the Power BI Service and the settings in your browser. 

You can try to use Chrome as your browser.

For reference: How to change the date Format in the Power BI Service

Make all users in the same browser language in Chrome.

If you need "YYYY-MM-DD", you can change the date format as "yyyy/m/d" in column tool in Power BI Desktop directly.

1.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi @v-rzhou-msft  and thanks for your suggestion.  This works for the date displayed in a table or other visuals.  However, the date slicer don't take in account the chosen format, it uses by default the browser's local.   So, if the browser local is English, it will display "mm/dd/yyyy", if it's French, it will display "dd/mm/yyyy".  We'd like to display "yyyy-mm-dd" and that's how it's defined in the dataset.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mutrax , I have not tested this, but if force format here, it should use that format. and should not use default format

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-custom-format-strings

Hi amitchandak and thanks for your suggestion.    I tried the Custom date format as described in the article using "yyyy-mm-dd" and still, it shows the date using that custom format in cards and tables but the slicer still uses the default browser "local" formatting.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.