Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Azure Blob Storage to serve Photos in Power BI by way of a URL

Hello Community,

I am trying to use images stored in a Azure Blob storage to display in my Power BI report.

Currently our team is using images stored in SharePoint to accomplish this, using the SharePoint URL along with a Power BI visual, Image by CloudScope. This works well.

Because of the amount of photos being generated we needed to switch to a differnt storge method, Azure Blob storge was a good fit for us.

After connecting to to the storage, we tried to use the URI from the table but with no success, seeing this error each time.

Error.PNG

The URI is https://ourname.blob.core.windows.net/ourfoldername/ourpicturename

Our question is, are there any solutions that create an acceptable URL pointing to the Blob storage that will work in the same manner the the SharePoint URL works?

Any thoughts on the topic are welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lid-msft ,

I was able to reach a solution to this by merging the "folder path" and "name" columns then attaching an SAS string (created from Azure for the folder all the images are in) to the end. This appoarch created a usable URL path.

[Folder Path]&[Name]&"SASstringHere"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you tried to set the Data Category as Image URL? It looks like power bi cannot get data from this URI. Can you get image from your url in browser? You can get more information about how to show picture from blob storage in this blog and this thread.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lid-msft ,

I was able to reach a solution to this by merging the "folder path" and "name" columns then attaching an SAS string (created from Azure for the folder all the images are in) to the end. This appoarch created a usable URL path.

[Folder Path]&[Name]&"SASstringHere"

Hm... there is a security issue with this method, right? If the image URL leaks, the image will be visible for anyone until the SAS token expires. 

How are you appending a fresh, short-lived SAS token to each image?

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.