Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Richard_H
Frequent Visitor

User specified growth applied to multiple locations over multiple years

I have some of what I need from the answer to this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/apply-a-compounding-interest-rate/td-p/626465

I have a similar need but an extra layer to my data. The solution from the above post worked perfect for a table like this:

Year   Budget

2019 100,000

2020 100,000

2021 100,000

My data looks like this:

Location   Year   Budget

Site 1        2020   100,000

Site 1        2021   100,000

Site 2        2020   150,000

Site 2        2021   150,000

Site 3        2020    75,000

Site 3        2021    75,000

The problem I'm running into is the measure is only calculating the first site listed for each year. I feel like I'm missing a iterative function in the Dax, but I'm not sure.

Measure 7 = 
VAR __2020Budget = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table13'),[Year]=2019),[Budget])
VAR __currentYear = MAX([Year])
VAR __minYear = 2020
RETURN
__2019Budget * POWER(1+[Rate Increase], __currentYear - __minYear)

Thank you for looking at this post!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Frank,

So I ended up figuring out that I needed to make the following change to solve this.

Measure 7 = 
//Original Variable
// VAR __2020Budget = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table13'),[Year]=2019),[Budget])
// this was filtering to the first row of each year, not what I needed
VAR __minYear = 2020
// New Variable, by using sumx I get the totals for each site I've selected with a slicer allowing me to look
//at smaller groups or all of them
VAR __SiteAnnualCost = SUMX('Table13'[Year]) RETURN //Original output //__2020Budget * POWER(1+[Rate Increase], __currentYear - __minYear) // New working output __SiteAnnualCost * POWER(1+[Rate Percent], __currentYear - __minYear)

I hope that makes sense, I know my DAX is not elegant

I had thought I needed and additional variable and a more complex formula but turns out I needed to replace  my variable and I was good to go. If you'd still like a sample let me know and I'll post it. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Richard_H ,

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hey Frank,

So I ended up figuring out that I needed to make the following change to solve this.

Measure 7 = 
//Original Variable
// VAR __2020Budget = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table13'),[Year]=2019),[Budget])
// this was filtering to the first row of each year, not what I needed
VAR __minYear = 2020
// New Variable, by using sumx I get the totals for each site I've selected with a slicer allowing me to look
//at smaller groups or all of them
VAR __SiteAnnualCost = SUMX('Table13'[Year]) RETURN //Original output //__2020Budget * POWER(1+[Rate Increase], __currentYear - __minYear) // New working output __SiteAnnualCost * POWER(1+[Rate Percent], __currentYear - __minYear)

I hope that makes sense, I know my DAX is not elegant

I had thought I needed and additional variable and a more complex formula but turns out I needed to replace  my variable and I was good to go. If you'd still like a sample let me know and I'll post it. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.