Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

davidz106
Helper III
Helper III

User-Editable task status in Power BI

I am working on a project where we manage a list of ongoing tasks, each associated with a status that is regularly updated in an Excel file and then visualized in Power BI. The Excel is not really big (20 columns x 3000 rows)

I want to implement a feature where users can override (could also be just adding another field that user can write into) the status of a task directly in the Power BI report. These "overrides" should persist even when the Excel file is updated and reloaded daily.

Here’s what I need to achieve:
User Interaction: Allow users to change the task status within the Power BI report.
Data Persistence: Ensure that user changes are retained across data refreshes, even when the underlying Excel data changes.
Data Integration: Merge user-edited data with new updates from Excel seamlessly.

Has anyone implemented a similar feature and can share their approach or insights? Are there best practices for ensuring data consistency and integrity when allowing user interactions in Power BI? Would you recommend any specific tools or services (within the Microsoft ecosystem or beyond) that integrate well with Power BI for this purpose?

Any examples, tips, or resources you could share would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If this is the case then the below video will be useful to you, this will help you keep one file[original file] as primary data source in power bi and make a copy of updated data within Power BI using Power Automate and save it elsewhere, Then you can merge original data and updated data. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shc1SpXYrKo
Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly. Appreciate you kudos!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NaveenGandhi
Super User
Super User

Hello @davidz106 

You can write back from a Power BI report using Power Apps and integrate it into your report. here is a good resource to start. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHwjPRnRwE

For data persistence and integration, You will have to maintain 2 separate files.

1. Original Excel [ maybe gets updates elsewhere than powerbi]
2. PBI Excel [ This Excel gets updated from powerbi user changes]

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok, so if I get this correctly the PBI Excel and original excel get merged in PBI to always have the refreshed data.

Because the original Excel changes each day (new rows get added and some even removed) - this one is my primary data source, the PBI would just need to add additional field -> could I ascribe and then use unique row ID for this purpose?

If this is the case then the below video will be useful to you, this will help you keep one file[original file] as primary data source in power bi and make a copy of updated data within Power BI using Power Automate and save it elsewhere, Then you can merge original data and updated data. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shc1SpXYrKo
Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly. Appreciate you kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.