Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hoyty
Regular Visitor

Use Table.ExpandRecordColumn to convert SharePoint Author to Name?

I want to create a summary count of who created / modified items in a SharePoint list. I can see AuthorID and EditorID but how can I translate to a name? I found this Solved: How to display name of Created By from Sharepoint ... - Microsoft Power BI Community but not sure if the UI has changed since then since I can't find similar option.

I also found this powerbi - Ho to Change Author ID from SharePoint list to names in Power BI? - SharePoint Stack Excha... but again the UI has changed so not sure how to do it now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyty
Regular Visitor

I beat my head against this enough and figured it out. If anyone else needs this in the future.

1. Go into Transform data

hoyty_0-1678818121343.png

2. Find the field reference as a record by scrolling far over on right of columns

3. Click the double arrow

hoyty_1-1678819431834.png

4. Select the record fields you want, such as Title for full name.

5. Apply changes

Now you will have a new column available called Author.Title or Editor.Title.

The advanced editor adds these lines.

#"Expanded Author" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"PREVIOUS LINE ENTRY", "Author", {"Title"}, {"Author.Title"}),
    #"Expanded Editor" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Author", "Editor", {"Title"}, {"Editor.Title"})

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
hoyty
Regular Visitor

I beat my head against this enough and figured it out. If anyone else needs this in the future.

1. Go into Transform data

hoyty_0-1678818121343.png

2. Find the field reference as a record by scrolling far over on right of columns

3. Click the double arrow

hoyty_1-1678819431834.png

4. Select the record fields you want, such as Title for full name.

5. Apply changes

Now you will have a new column available called Author.Title or Editor.Title.

The advanced editor adds these lines.

#"Expanded Author" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"PREVIOUS LINE ENTRY", "Author", {"Title"}, {"Author.Title"}),
    #"Expanded Editor" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded Author", "Editor", {"Title"}, {"Editor.Title"})

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.