Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SisterRay
Frequent Visitor

Unknown error when executing MDX, BRAINOLAPAPI 012 (Power BI Desktop & SAP BW)

Hi all,

I can connect to data source - SAP BW but each time I'm getting an "Unknown error when executing MDX." (DataSource.Error is below).
When I use the connector I can see the Cubes in BW okay but when I import data I get this error. This issue is only on Power BI side.

I tried looking up the error on the SAP support site but I can't find anything about this issue in their knowledge articles. What could be the reason for that?

DataSource.Error: The SAP BW server reported an error: 'Unknown error when executing MDX'. To find more information about this error, visit the SAP support site and search for 'BRAINOLAPAPI 012'.
Details: DataSourceKind=SapBusinessWarehouse

Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - September 2022): Power BI Desktop September 2022 2.109.1021.0 64-bit
Connector: SAP Net Connector 3.1 (64-bit).

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you are executing an MDX query instead of a T-SQL query. Is that query mal-formed? If you paste it into a browsing tool does it return rows?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

This issue is only on Power BI side.

When I use the connector I can see the Cubes in BW okay but when I import data I get this error:

DataSource.Error: The SAP BW server reported an error: 'Unknown error when executing MDX'. To find more information about this error, visit the SAP support site and search for 'BRAINOLAPAPI 012'.

Details: DataSourceKind=SapBusinessWarehouse

I have the same issue, was there a solution on this error message?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.