Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Tufail

Advice Regarding Tables

Hi, knowledgeable Members

I need some advice regarding handling large tables. (300+ Columns)

I have 4 tables in xls that hold different pieces of information. I am building a semantic model in Power BI to reuse for a bunch of different reports, so I don't want to remove the columns that I don't need right now in case I might need them later on. I also need to make some conditional columns. Should I do this in the fact table or create a new table (merge as new) with the columns that I need and add them to this table? Finding the columns that I need in such a long list is confusing.

I would appreciate any advice on what is best for performance and scalability.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tufail, I expect that many of my fellow community member will agree with the following advice: don't import columns "you might need later". Load as less data as possible to achieve the objective of a single report: having a one single report answering all business questions might be a very risky strategy as your report might have very poor performance.

I know that such answer might be different from what you expect, but this is the advice, if you really looking for it 🙂

Now, if you want to combine 4 excels to have unique table to use within multiple reports, you might try to use "Dataflows". Then, based on specific needs, you load only minimum necessary columns to a single report. Even in this case I encourage you to review all 300 columns and think whether you really would need all of them. Removing even 100 would be a great starting point!

Have a great day and good luck! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tufail, I expect that many of my fellow community member will agree with the following advice: don't import columns "you might need later". Load as less data as possible to achieve the objective of a single report: having a one single report answering all business questions might be a very risky strategy as your report might have very poor performance.

I know that such answer might be different from what you expect, but this is the advice, if you really looking for it 🙂

Now, if you want to combine 4 excels to have unique table to use within multiple reports, you might try to use "Dataflows". Then, based on specific needs, you load only minimum necessary columns to a single report. Even in this case I encourage you to review all 300 columns and think whether you really would need all of them. Removing even 100 would be a great starting point!

Have a great day and good luck! 

Hi @Sergii24 

Thanks you so much for your response.
Most of the reports will need to be refreshed daily so I am trying to reduce the number of places to refresh. 

Nonetheless, advice taken. I was able to bring the fact table down to 186. I will reduce the other tables hereafter. I suppose at a later stage I can reduce it further and ultimately reduce the number of columns during the extraction process.

Once again, thank you.

I'm glad that yo found it helpful! Please remember to accept it as solution if you believe the topic is closed. Have a great day!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.