Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmuehlenbrock

Unknown Data Type Icon

Hi folks,

I am pretty new to Power BI so this might be a very beginner question. When I tried to use PBI time functions like MONTH() in calculated fields (measures) I noticed that I cannot select any date fields within the formula. 

I am (live) connected to a SSAS cube with these settings for the field in question:

Visual Studio Data Field PropertiesVisual Studio Data Field Properties

In Power BI I see the data field indicated with this small icon for which I cannot find any specification or description in the forums:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-16 um 13.52.22.png

But what I found is a different icon in an Excel-based dataset where I defined the data type in Power BI modelling tab directly. See:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-16 um 13.54.53.png

What is the difference between these two icons? 

Any help appreciated!

jmuehlenbrock

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jmuehlenbrock ,

Based on this document, This icon is mean: Identity field: Fields with this icon are unique fields, set to show all values, even if they have duplicates.

But if you want to create a measure, we cannot just use Month('Auftragsdatum'[Auftragsdatum]) to get the month, we need to get a certain value of this field such as following:

MonthMeasureOfLatestDate = MONTH(MAX('Auftragsdatum'[Auftragsdatum]))

1.jpg2.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jmuehlenbrock

So what I have found after some further investigation is that the mentioned icon indicates a row level identifier. 

(src: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Field-list-question/td-p/17312)

But I still don't get why I cannot use this field in a formula where a date is needed. When I put this field to the filter pane it is possible to use relative date filters, so I guess that the field itself IS recongnized as a date. 

Hi @jmuehlenbrock ,

Based on this document, This icon is mean: Identity field: Fields with this icon are unique fields, set to show all values, even if they have duplicates.

But if you want to create a measure, we cannot just use Month('Auftragsdatum'[Auftragsdatum]) to get the month, we need to get a certain value of this field such as following:

MonthMeasureOfLatestDate = MONTH(MAX('Auftragsdatum'[Auftragsdatum]))

1.jpg2.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.