Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EvL1973
Frequent Visitor

Unable to save changes under Options/Settings in Power BI Desktop

Hi, 

One of my co-workers is unable to save changes in the Option Settings. 

We tried different options to change, but it doesnt work. No error message is shown. 

Steps that my colleague performed: 

In Power BI Desktop: 

1) Go to File/Option and Settings/Options
2) Select Preview Features and check 1 or more features. 

3) Click 'OK' button to save the changes. 
Result: After clicking OK, nothing happens. No error message, the option screen is still visible and you are not able to save the changes. 

I've never seen this before, and it seems to be a very local problem for just this user. 

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this, and how to solve it? 

19 REPLIES 19
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

The exact same thing is happening to me, I want to modify some boxes in the settings and it doesn't let me apply them, what is the solution?

b-cube

As prescribed by Evl-1973 i am also suffering from the same problem in latest verson of Power Bi. I hve un-install it several time and try to do it but it didnot work could you help me to mitigate the problem its really creating the problem in my report generation. Because of which i am using the old verson of Power BI.

yajoman

I was changing some settings under Security, but had the same problem.

Eventually, I noticed that there was an error in another tab. In my case, in the 1st tab:

yajoman_0-1705489350950.png

I didn't change that value, but it was wrong and it didn't allow me to save any other settings. I changed it to 400 and all saved properly.

So, maybe, if you're having this problem, try to see if there's any error in other tabs preventing you to save.

THANK YOU SOLVED IT!!!!!!

soticoker

For me, I resolved this issue by changing my Python IDE path in the Power BI settings.

Power BI autodetected my main IDE(VSCode) path wrongly for some reason. When I changed it to the correct one it worked!

wilijam
Frequent Visitor

Hello.

Something worked for me.

1. Uninstall Power BI

2. Delete all other files and clean registry

3. Install Power bi

4. Open Power BI - still can not save changes in option .OK button was grey

5. In Otions - Scripting in lagunage R - I deleted all directories - OK button turns green

6. Click on OK and afther this everithnig has started to work properly.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you.

dbn
Regular Visitor

For what is worth, I had too this kind of behaviour and it was due to Power BI pointing at the wrong directories for Python and R installs, correcting them enabled settings menu to work properly.

This resolved it for me. Thanks! 

Had the same issue, but our solutions was to remove the directory in Python Scripting instead of R. We had a wrong folder in Python options, which showed a warning in that section. 

After deleting the wrong setting, it worked.

Just doing the step 5, solved the problem. Thnx.

I confirm Just doing the step 5 solved the problem:

In Otions - Scripting in lagunage R - I deleted all directories

Arnaud_R
Helper II
Helper II

Both the April and May versions have the same issue.

wilijam
Frequent Visitor

Same for me.
Has anyone fixed this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reinstalling the software fixed it for me.

Do not work for me.

Same problem.

Version: 2.117.984.0 64-bit (may 2023)

rupertovsky

Same for me, Version: 2.116.966.0 64-bit (April 2023)

tienpbi
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. My solution is uninstalling then re-installing power BI app. It worked

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue for me. 

If you don't have any locations defined in the option settings for Python or R, check also the Save and Recover section of the settings.  There is a location for Autorecovery that needs to be set and mine was corrupted (even though I repointed it at the same location in order to get the error to clear.)  Once the issue was cleared, I was once again able to save my option settings.  Microsoft should post an error message instead of relying on sluething to find the hidden error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.