Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BAFreedom
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to open document

I sent a friend my power bi file, which querried data from my own source. I produced visuals.

She is unable to open the document. Any ideas on why, and how she can open it? pic below.

BAFreedom_0-1664000284657.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @BAFreedom ,

It seems there are only 2 ways. 

1. you can switch to the September 2019 version.

Check the previous versions here.

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

2. recreate report in same version as it is installed on your friend  Power BI Report server.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

As per @v-rongtiep-msft 

1. Install Power BI Sept 2019 version on your machine, open and share it with her. 

2. Ask her to install your 2022 version.

It will work as both versions are the same

Otherwise, you or she need to re-create the report from scrach. Hope you get it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BAFreedom ,

Sounds for all the world that they are on a fairly out-dated version of Power BI Desktop that does not support composite models. What are the versions of Power BI Desktop that you and they are using?

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using 2022, they are using September 2019. I will need to switch to the September 2019 version at some point.

Hi @BAFreedom ,

It seems there are only 2 ways. 

1. you can switch to the September 2019 version.

Check the previous versions here.

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

2. recreate report in same version as it is installed on your friend  Power BI Report server.

Best Regards

I see, so I would have to downlaod the Sept. 2019 version, then re-create the report

OR

She download the 2022 version.

Is my understanding correct?

There is no way I can switch to the 2019 version only... I would have to create a new report in the 2019 version.

Hi @BAFreedom ,

You can switch to the 2019 version and try to open the pbix file. Or she download 2022 version and recreate the report then share it with you.

Best Regards

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@BAFreedom 

I think she is using power bi Desktop meant for Power BI On premise Server. Let her use latest power bi desktop for Power BI service to get the access to the file!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for your reply. What is Power BI ON Premise Server vs. Desktop for PowerBI service?

Could it also be she has Power BI Sept 2019 version? I did the file in the 2022 version, but I will need to switch to the 2019 version.

As per @v-rongtiep-msft 

1. Install Power BI Sept 2019 version on your machine, open and share it with her. 

2. Ask her to install your 2022 version.

It will work as both versions are the same

Otherwise, you or she need to re-create the report from scrach. Hope you get it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.