Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Newcolator
Helper I
Helper I

UK FIlled Maps by County

Hello. I'm trying to make a filled map of the UK by county. I am able to get this to work by having a column with the name of the county, then setting the data category on that column to "county". Then I can use it on the map. But I have gaps in my map where my county names arn't recognised, or they have been placed on the map in America. Where do I find the list of county names that PowerBI is expecting for the UK?

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Newcolator 

You can try adding more geo-hierarchies columns or latitude/longitude columns to improve the accuracy of location mapping. See tips: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-map-tips-and-tricks

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Newcolator
Helper I
Helper I

This is Roxburhshire in Scotland.

Newcolator_5-1616772627179.png

Search for it in Bing maps and you don't get a county outline, just a pin.

Newcolator_6-1616772674501.png

And Power BI shows it as the whole of Scotland.

Newcolator_7-1616772719633.png

It looks to me as if Microsoft haven't got UK county mapping right in Bing.

Newcolator
Helper I
Helper I

Some of the counties that bing maps seem wrong to me. Wiltshire for example, should look like this. Notice it fullly encompasses Swindon at the top.

Newcolator_3-1616772390433.png

Bing thinks Wiltshire looks like this. It's the same shape, but missing a chunk at the top. Swindon is not in Wilshire according to bing maps.

Newcolator_4-1616772447660.png

Newcolator
Helper I
Helper I

Firstly, here's the UK map Power BI has produced. There are white gaps where the county has not been mapped.

Newcolator_2-1616770289071.png

Norfolk, UK is being mapped to Norfolk in the US.

Newcolator_0-1616770193909.png

And several counties are being mapped to India. I think this might be a default when the county is not mapped.

Newcolator_1-1616770247439.png

Surely there must be a list of the expected names? As it is the mapping is redundant.

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Newcolator ,

it would be helpful if you show your problem with screenshots. This makes it easier to understand.

The country names and coordinates are sent to Bing and the areas are mapped accordingly.

So chose your names like US-Bing understands it and it should recognize it. Also, the more information you give, the better Bing can combine the data with the map.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.