Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JRHans09
Resolver II
Resolver II

Trying to create a budget table - process is timing out

I am trying to create a budget table that leverages existing data from previous years to project averages across multiple parameters:

1. Year

2. Month in Year

3. Branch

4. Cost Center (Line of Business)

5 Sales Rep

This is working, however when I add one more parameter, Revenue Type, the process is timing out.

This code works:

JRHans09_0-1651780418162.png

*Sales Rep data redacted

Then, when removing the comment tags to apply RemProd[RevType] to the CrossJoin section, as here, the process times out:

JRHans09_3-1651775757392.png

The below formula times out:

JRHans09_1-1651780558889.png

Here is the timeout error message:

JRHans09_5-1651781702066.png

Task Manager screen shots:

JRHans09_3-1651781112502.png

And here:

JRHans09_4-1651781167363.png

Here are the specs for my machine:

JRHans09_2-1651780994915.png

Is this issue related to my machine capabilities? Is there any way to accomplish the same goal with a different table formula or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
johnt75
Super User
Super User

This code is generating every possible combination of the columns you've specified, even combinations which aren't possible - presumably a branch is associated with a limited number of cost centres, and a sales person with a limited number of branches.

In the ideal situation where you have a chain of 1-to-many relationships you can SUMMARIZE on the last many table to get just the valid combinations. e.g. if you have many sales people to 1 branch and then many branches to 1 cost centre you could do

Base Table = SUMMARIZE( 'Sales person', 'Sales person'[sales person ID], 'Branch'[Branch ID], 'Cost Centre'[Cost centre ID])

and use that with either CROSSJOIN or GENERATE.

Also, depending on how large your date table is it might be worth filtering that before doing the CROSSJOIN - no point generating the additional rows just to filter them out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.