Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JRHans09
Resolver II
Resolver II

Trying to create a budget table - process is timing out

I am trying to create a budget table that leverages existing data from previous years to project averages across multiple parameters:

1. Year

2. Month in Year

3. Branch

4. Cost Center (Line of Business)

5 Sales Rep

This is working, however when I add one more parameter, Revenue Type, the process is timing out.

This code works:

JRHans09_0-1651780418162.png

*Sales Rep data redacted

Then, when removing the comment tags to apply RemProd[RevType] to the CrossJoin section, as here, the process times out:

JRHans09_3-1651775757392.png

The below formula times out:

JRHans09_1-1651780558889.png

Here is the timeout error message:

JRHans09_5-1651781702066.png

Task Manager screen shots:

JRHans09_3-1651781112502.png

And here:

JRHans09_4-1651781167363.png

Here are the specs for my machine:

JRHans09_2-1651780994915.png

Is this issue related to my machine capabilities? Is there any way to accomplish the same goal with a different table formula or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
johnt75
Super User
Super User

This code is generating every possible combination of the columns you've specified, even combinations which aren't possible - presumably a branch is associated with a limited number of cost centres, and a sales person with a limited number of branches.

In the ideal situation where you have a chain of 1-to-many relationships you can SUMMARIZE on the last many table to get just the valid combinations. e.g. if you have many sales people to 1 branch and then many branches to 1 cost centre you could do

Base Table = SUMMARIZE( 'Sales person', 'Sales person'[sales person ID], 'Branch'[Branch ID], 'Cost Centre'[Cost centre ID])

and use that with either CROSSJOIN or GENERATE.

Also, depending on how large your date table is it might be worth filtering that before doing the CROSSJOIN - no point generating the additional rows just to filter them out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.