Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ganes
Helper I
Helper I

Transpose multiple rows in to multiple columns in directquery

ganes_0-1705763869092.png

Hi All,

can anyone please help me to transpose question colum into rows. And it should have its correseponding answer. I am pulling data from bigquery.

column 1 (Number) has 5 entries for 5 diff questions and corresponding answers. I need the 5 questions in indivisual column and its answers get filled in as per the number

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ganes 

oh wow, 

well yes,  directquery wont work with power query pivoting table , it will ask you to use import mode instead.

what about pivoting the table in the backend , with sql , or oracle or any language you are using in the backend 

or another approach maybe useful for you and easier in the backend. 

you can still use the matrix visual

and for the naming of the questions, you can create a new column callled, mapped questions name.

and for the requirement of that you dont want to show all questions, you can in the filter pane -->  filter on the visual, choose the questions that you want to show . 

Daniel29195_0-1705789681617.png

does this help you solve your problem ? 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

Hello @ganes 

why not using the matrix visual  . this should give you the desired output. 

Daniel29195_0-1705767199136.png

also if you want to do it in power query  follow the following steps : 
1.go to power query 

Daniel29195_1-1705767330725.png

2.select the column questions 

3. click on pivot .  a new window will open

Daniel29195_2-1705767377260.png

4.configure it as above.

you will have the desired output . 

Daniel29195_3-1705767423988.png

hope this helps . 

Hi @Daniel29195,

Problem with Matrix visual is that I don't want to display all the questions. Also, I need to rename the questions in the Table view.

Hi @Daniel29195,

Thanks for responding when I am pivoting it is asking me to import. But I am using direct query as the table is huge more than 600GB

ganes_0-1705768378846.png

@ganes 

oh wow, 

well yes,  directquery wont work with power query pivoting table , it will ask you to use import mode instead.

what about pivoting the table in the backend , with sql , or oracle or any language you are using in the backend 

or another approach maybe useful for you and easier in the backend. 

you can still use the matrix visual

and for the naming of the questions, you can create a new column callled, mapped questions name.

and for the requirement of that you dont want to show all questions, you can in the filter pane -->  filter on the visual, choose the questions that you want to show . 

Daniel29195_0-1705789681617.png

does this help you solve your problem ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.