Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

Timeout constantly when refreshing

Hello my dear friends, I´m having one big issue here, some of my reports are unable to refresh.

1) The database size is about 90gb;
2) Our database language seens to not support Query folding, so I can´t do incremental loads;
3) All queries are highly optimazable, we are already searching for only the last 5 years of data (with indexes);

I´ve already tried everything but i´m still receiving timeout value in 3 reports (the huge ones).

Erro de fonte de dados
The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 7200 sec.Cluster URIWABI-BRAZIL-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
ID da atividade0833ee40-3166-45fa-bb51-bbab9f247020
Solicitar ID0d0ea1b9-caa2-9aaa-c69f-9633b9bfd579
Hora2020-11-23 20:10:29Z

Any suggestion please?

7 REPLIES 7
brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

I´ve tried to enable the parallel query parameter, not sure if this will solve, will post here any news.

Hi @brunozanoelo ,

Firstly, based on this blog, in Power BI Service, refreshing the dataset will give an error message letting you know your dataset is too large, and it will fail to refresh until you filter the data model back down under 1 GB.

Secondly, optimize your data model following the guide in this blog.

And specify appropriate value in “Command timeout in minutes (optional)" following steps below, then check if you can  refresh successfully in Power BI Desktop.

1. Click on the arrow for "Edit Queries" in your current Power BI Desktop file, select "Data Source Settings” in the dropdown.
2. Click on "Change Source..." in the Data source settings pop-up window.
3. Click on Advanced Options in the pop-up window, enter 60 minutes in the "Command timeout in minutes (optional)" textbox, then click OK.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hello @v-kelly-msft 

Where is this option of "timeout in minutes"? I can´t see this parameter in my PBI Desktop. i believe this parameter is only for SQL Server, I´m using ODBC connection.

brunozanoelo_0-1606391882559.png

Best Regards,
Bruno Zanoelo

Hi @brunozanoelo ,

Yes,the option only supports in SQL server connector:

v-kelly-msft_0-1606440807874.png

Then refer to the first suggestion I posted in the last reply.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Good Morning @v-kelly-msft , how are you today?

I´ve already made all the steps mentioned on the first but didn´t succeed, I´m still receiving timeout in my dashboards. 😞

I´m not sure what more I can do, could someone help to understand the diagnosticts files?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NhrGwKLd3mcSSb55_RaAu5dPle7-88eE?usp=sharing

Best Regards from Brazil,
Bruno

Hi @brunozanoelo ,

Is your issue solved?Does my suggestion work ?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi  @brunozanoelo ,

You said your dataset is 90GB,but in shared capacity,it only supports 1Gb before refreshing,is this the issue?

Otherwise you may check whether below thread help:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Odbc-Error-when-refreshing/td-p/64513

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.