Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Time Intelligence option on the Options dialog box

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out what the Time Intelligence option, in the Current File - Data Load section is used for.

I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Tracy

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I *think* this is the hidden date table which is creted if you have a column formatted as a date anywhere in your model. Once you make a date table and create a relationship it actually disappears. Basically the model needs a date table if its going to do anything with dates.

There is a vieo about it...i will track it down for you. it was pretty cool..

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi elz,

>> I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Does the option mean the following feature introduced in this article ( Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields (Preview)  )?

“This is a small improvement to the back-end engine that speeds up the modelling operations by not blocking them while visual controls are refreshing.

Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields

With this version of the Power BI Desktop you can now use DAX time intelligence functions with the built-in time intelligence functions.  With the Inline hierarchy labels preview feature turned on, you can access these fields with a dot notation (e.g., Sales[InvoiceDate].[Date]).  The dot notation works in all places a normal date field can be used.

Time Intelligence feature is in Preview and needs to be enabled in File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Preview Features before use.”

If as I said, the feature is currently enabled on the newest version of power bi desktop ( 2.38.4491.282 ), you could use it directly without turn on the option in Preview Features tab.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

i found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHpkN0gfPM go to about 42 mins in as you see it unmasked. Its a really good presentation in general so maybe watch the whole thing.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi elz,

>> I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Does the option mean the following feature introduced in this article ( Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields (Preview)  )?

“This is a small improvement to the back-end engine that speeds up the modelling operations by not blocking them while visual controls are refreshing.

Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields

With this version of the Power BI Desktop you can now use DAX time intelligence functions with the built-in time intelligence functions.  With the Inline hierarchy labels preview feature turned on, you can access these fields with a dot notation (e.g., Sales[InvoiceDate].[Date]).  The dot notation works in all places a normal date field can be used.

Time Intelligence feature is in Preview and needs to be enabled in File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Preview Features before use.”

If as I said, the feature is currently enabled on the newest version of power bi desktop ( 2.38.4491.282 ), you could use it directly without turn on the option in Preview Features tab.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi xiaoxin,

i am using the august update, but haven't created any formulas, since the update, so i didn't see that this new feature.

thank you
tracy
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I *think* this is the hidden date table which is creted if you have a column formatted as a date anywhere in your model. Once you make a date table and create a relationship it actually disappears. Basically the model needs a date table if its going to do anything with dates.

There is a vieo about it...i will track it down for you. it was pretty cool..

hi sam,

that makes sense. i do have a date table.
i hope you can find the video. i would like to watch it.

thank you
tracy

i found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHpkN0gfPM go to about 42 mins in as you see it unmasked. Its a really good presentation in general so maybe watch the whole thing.

hi sam,
thank you for the link. i did watch the portion for the time intelligence field. without running a command, we can't see this table that is created, so i'm sure what the purpose of it really is.

i saved the link. i don't have time now, but i do plan the watch more of the video.

thank you
tracy

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.