Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Time Intelligence option on the Options dialog box

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out what the Time Intelligence option, in the Current File - Data Load section is used for.

I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Tracy

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I *think* this is the hidden date table which is creted if you have a column formatted as a date anywhere in your model. Once you make a date table and create a relationship it actually disappears. Basically the model needs a date table if its going to do anything with dates.

There is a vieo about it...i will track it down for you. it was pretty cool..

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi elz,

>> I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Does the option mean the following feature introduced in this article ( Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields (Preview)  )?

“This is a small improvement to the back-end engine that speeds up the modelling operations by not blocking them while visual controls are refreshing.

Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields

With this version of the Power BI Desktop you can now use DAX time intelligence functions with the built-in time intelligence functions.  With the Inline hierarchy labels preview feature turned on, you can access these fields with a dot notation (e.g., Sales[InvoiceDate].[Date]).  The dot notation works in all places a normal date field can be used.

Time Intelligence feature is in Preview and needs to be enabled in File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Preview Features before use.”

If as I said, the feature is currently enabled on the newest version of power bi desktop ( 2.38.4491.282 ), you could use it directly without turn on the option in Preview Features tab.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

i found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHpkN0gfPM go to about 42 mins in as you see it unmasked. Its a really good presentation in general so maybe watch the whole thing.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi elz,

>> I read the tooltip (creates a hidden table for each date field), but I don't understand it, so I don't know whether or not, I should enable the option.

Does the option mean the following feature introduced in this article ( Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields (Preview)  )?

“This is a small improvement to the back-end engine that speeds up the modelling operations by not blocking them while visual controls are refreshing.

Time Intelligence with built-in date hierarchy fields

With this version of the Power BI Desktop you can now use DAX time intelligence functions with the built-in time intelligence functions.  With the Inline hierarchy labels preview feature turned on, you can access these fields with a dot notation (e.g., Sales[InvoiceDate].[Date]).  The dot notation works in all places a normal date field can be used.

Time Intelligence feature is in Preview and needs to be enabled in File -> Options and Settings -> Options -> Preview Features before use.”

If as I said, the feature is currently enabled on the newest version of power bi desktop ( 2.38.4491.282 ), you could use it directly without turn on the option in Preview Features tab.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi xiaoxin,

i am using the august update, but haven't created any formulas, since the update, so i didn't see that this new feature.

thank you
tracy
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I *think* this is the hidden date table which is creted if you have a column formatted as a date anywhere in your model. Once you make a date table and create a relationship it actually disappears. Basically the model needs a date table if its going to do anything with dates.

There is a vieo about it...i will track it down for you. it was pretty cool..

hi sam,

that makes sense. i do have a date table.
i hope you can find the video. i would like to watch it.

thank you
tracy

i found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHpkN0gfPM go to about 42 mins in as you see it unmasked. Its a really good presentation in general so maybe watch the whole thing.

hi sam,
thank you for the link. i did watch the portion for the time intelligence field. without running a command, we can't see this table that is created, so i'm sure what the purpose of it really is.

i saved the link. i don't have time now, but i do plan the watch more of the video.

thank you
tracy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.