Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vstopp
Helper I
Helper I

There's not enough memory to complete this operation (on NUMERIC Field)

I have many tables joined.  When I add a text field (Persons Name) to the table (from the joined table) everything works fine.  When I try to add a numeric field (RiskScore), I get the error "There's not enough memory to complete this operation."  

It seems strange to me that the text fields work fine, but the numeric field does not?  I tried with two different numeric fields and both failed.

Any suggestions or insight?

Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vstopp,

How much system resources available on your device? What version of power bi do you test? (32bit or 64bit)  If you are working on 32bit, I'd like to suggest you change to 64 bit that allows using more memory resources for calculation.

Memory limits of 32-bit application running on 64-bit OS (Windows 2008 server 64-bit) 
Is there any nested iterator function used in your formulas? Can you please share the DAX formula you used in your report?
They may cause duplicate calculations that cost more system resources. You can take a look at following links to know more about these:

Optimizing nested iterators in DAX 

Power BI performance best practices 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I don't have any calculations.  Just the joins.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro, I7 cpu @34.4 ghz, 16 gig ram.  I'm using 64bit Power BI.  My CostUtilization table has 1.6M records, CostUtilization_LOS has 700K records, and ACOBeneficiaries_Uniq has 16000 records.

Valerie

Hi @vstopp,

I think they should be related to your data amount, maybe you can take a look at following links about tips if they suitable for your scenario:

There's Not Enough Memory To Complete This Operation 

Since power bi data model records are stored in SSAS instance, you can also refer to the below document about SSAS 'not enough memory' issue:

SSAS error “The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory for the application”... 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Can you share both calculations?

Also, increase the virtual RAM of your system and try.

There aren't any calculations.   I imported the three main tables into a new Power BI, and here is what I found out.  The risk score displays fine, but when I select "Average" I still get the out of memory error.  Here is a layout of my tables.  

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.