Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Text to Year gives wrong output

So I have some data broken down by Month, Quarter, and Year. I was able to format the Month correctly as a date, but the Year is being tricky. For example: when I make it Date/Time, 2015 turns into 7/7/1905. When I switch to yyyy format, it just shows 1905. How can I get it to recognize 2015 as the correct year?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You should use & operator to create a date column and change the data type to date  and format as yyyy to achieve the results.

Datecolumn = "1/" &"1/" &[Year]

Convert the data type to the date and let me know how it goes or need further help.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You should use & operator to create a date column and change the data type to date  and format as yyyy to achieve the results.

Datecolumn = "1/" &"1/" &[Year]

Convert the data type to the date and let me know how it goes or need further help.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BhaveshPatel

Thank you

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

so the Year field needs to be a Number field type, not a Date field type.  that's just the way it is..... or based on the title of your post you can force it to be a text field using the ribbon modeling tab.

am not entirely clear what your goal is - one thought however may be to add another field that is a true date field ....so if your periods are months have an actual date field perhaps using the 1st day of the month.  I just throw that out there as a consideration but not really sure if it helps.....

www.CahabaData.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. My goal here is to look at month over month change as far as sales and margin go. I have that figured out by using PREVIOUSMONTH('Table'[Month]), where 'Table'[Month] is formatted as 01-MM-YYYY. Measures work great.

I also want to look at year over year change. Here i tried PREVIOUSYEAR('Table'[Month]), since I knew this has the year in it. This doesn't give me any calculations on my measures. I then figured I'd try to format the Year column as a date and use PREVIOUSYEAR on that, but it can't be formatted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.