Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

maronis
Helper I
Helper I

Table with too much text to fit on one page

Hi all - I have a dataset from an employee feedback survey. One of the fields is a 'comments' field. I'm trying to generate reports for department heads so that they can see comments from people in their department.

Because I don't want to give everyone access to everyone else's comments, I'm planning on creating the report in Power BI, filtering to the specific department, and then printing the resulting report to a pdf. However, one issue I've encountered is that for some departments, the comments are so long that they take up more room than is available on one page. This wouldn't be an issue for people viewing the report in Power BI because they could scroll, but since I'm planning on distributing pdf'd reports, this isn't an option. Is there a way to force Power BI to print all contents of a table across multiple pages if it doesn't fit onto one?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for sharing this! It actually allowed me to develop a better solution (one report file and give people access to just the info they're supposed to see) than what I'd originally planned on doing (filter reports myself and print one for each dept head).

The only downside I see is that I have to be really careful about security - becuase adding a user to the group allows them to see EVERYTHING until I add them to the row-level security settings. But as long as I'm careful about that, it should work.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@maronis wrote:

Hi all - I have a dataset from an employee feedback survey. One of the fields is a 'comments' field. I'm trying to generate reports for department heads so that they can see comments from people in their department.

Because I don't want to give everyone access to everyone else's comments, I'm planning on creating the report in Power BI, filtering to the specific department, and then printing the resulting report to a pdf. However, one issue I've encountered is that for some departments, the comments are so long that they take up more room than is available on one page. This wouldn't be an issue for people viewing the report in Power BI because they could scroll, but since I'm planning on distributing pdf'd reports, this isn't an option. Is there a way to force Power BI to print all contents of a table across multiple pages if it doesn't fit onto one?

Thanks!

@maronis

For more flexibility, just in case you're not aware, check Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI.

This is super helpful, thank you. One follow-up question that doesn't seem to be addressed in the article you referenced - is it possible to define a default level of security for people who have access to the report but for whom I haven't defined any role-level security?

@maronis wrote:

This is super helpful, thank you. One follow-up question that doesn't seem to be addressed in the article you referenced - is it possible to define a default level of security for people who have access to the report but for whom I haven't defined any role-level security?

@maronis

AFAIK, it is not possible to define that kind of default level. However, the members having edit premission in a GROUP can view all content even though they don't belong to any RLS role.

Thanks for sharing this! It actually allowed me to develop a better solution (one report file and give people access to just the info they're supposed to see) than what I'd originally planned on doing (filter reports myself and print one for each dept head).

The only downside I see is that I have to be really careful about security - becuase adding a user to the group allows them to see EVERYTHING until I add them to the row-level security settings. But as long as I'm careful about that, it should work.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.