Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ettt
Frequent Visitor

Switching order of display categories and task name - xviz gantt chart

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in process of making a gantt chart using the XViz dashboard. I have 3 levels that are technically in a hierarchical structure, but I want them as separate columns. I tried used the "Display Categories" field, however, this does not allow me to put the task name at the front of both categories. 

Is there any way I can show all 3 levels in order as separate columns? 

ettt_0-1712842926733.png

Please note that for some reason when I even try to make it in a hierarchal structure, it doesn't work (if placed as level 1 -> level 2 -> task only level 1 will show up without a drill button)

All help appreciated! Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ettt 

To display all three levels as separate columns in your Gantt chart using XViz dashboard, you may need to adjust the data structure or use custom visuals that support this functionality. Here's a general approach you can try:

1. **Adjust Data Structure**:
Ensure that your dataset includes separate columns for each level of the hierarchy. For example, you may have columns named "Level 1", "Level 2", and "Task". Each row in your dataset should contain the corresponding values for each level.

2. **Use Custom Visuals**:
If the XViz dashboard does not support displaying all three levels as separate columns, consider using custom visuals that offer more flexibility in data visualization. There are several custom Gantt chart visuals available in the Power BI marketplace that may support your requirements. You can explore these visuals and see if any of them meet your needs.

3. **Consider Data Modeling**:
Review your data modeling approach to ensure that it aligns with the visualization requirements. Sometimes restructuring the data or creating calculated columns can help achieve the desired display in visuals.

4. **Check XViz Documentation**:
Refer to the XViz documentation or contact their support team to see if there are any specific settings or configurations that allow you to display multiple levels as separate columns in the Gantt chart.

5. **Explore Alternatives**:
If XViz dashboard does not meet your requirements, consider exploring other dashboarding solutions or building custom reports using Power BI Desktop where you have more control over the visualization layout and hierarchy.

By following these steps and exploring different options, you should be able to achieve your goal of displaying all three levels as separate columns in your Gantt chart visualization.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ettt 

To display all three levels as separate columns in your Gantt chart using XViz dashboard, you may need to adjust the data structure or use custom visuals that support this functionality. Here's a general approach you can try:

1. **Adjust Data Structure**:
Ensure that your dataset includes separate columns for each level of the hierarchy. For example, you may have columns named "Level 1", "Level 2", and "Task". Each row in your dataset should contain the corresponding values for each level.

2. **Use Custom Visuals**:
If the XViz dashboard does not support displaying all three levels as separate columns, consider using custom visuals that offer more flexibility in data visualization. There are several custom Gantt chart visuals available in the Power BI marketplace that may support your requirements. You can explore these visuals and see if any of them meet your needs.

3. **Consider Data Modeling**:
Review your data modeling approach to ensure that it aligns with the visualization requirements. Sometimes restructuring the data or creating calculated columns can help achieve the desired display in visuals.

4. **Check XViz Documentation**:
Refer to the XViz documentation or contact their support team to see if there are any specific settings or configurations that allow you to display multiple levels as separate columns in the Gantt chart.

5. **Explore Alternatives**:
If XViz dashboard does not meet your requirements, consider exploring other dashboarding solutions or building custom reports using Power BI Desktop where you have more control over the visualization layout and hierarchy.

By following these steps and exploring different options, you should be able to achieve your goal of displaying all three levels as separate columns in your Gantt chart visualization.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.