Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

rodneyc8063_1
Helper V
Helper V

Switch/Update slicer values after specific day each year?

Im just starting out on Power BI and have a hopefully quick question

I am using a Directy Query to my Oracle Database.

I imported a dimension table DM_CNF_TERM, where I have the following two columns (theres more but Im focused on ACAD_YEAR_DESC)

ACAD_YEAR_DESC           ACAD_YEAR_NUM

Acad 2012/13                   2012
Acad 2013/14                   2013
Acad 2014/15                   2014
Acad 2015/16                   2015
Acad 2016/17                   2016
Acad 2017/18                   2017
Acad 2018/19                   2018

Basically theres rows all the way back from 1950's to today.

I was wanting to use ACAD_YEAR_DESC in a slicer to filter a matrix/pivot table, BUT right now the slicer is returning all the rows in the column (expected from what I understand).

I was wanting to only pull the most recent 5 acad years, so I would want only the following values

Acad 2014/15
Acad 2015/16
Acad 2016/17
Acad 2017/18
Acad 2018/19

One problem I have is I want the acad years to update moving forward when its the new year. So next year I would expect the following

Acad 2015/16
Acad 2016/17
Acad 2017/18
Acad 2018/19

Acad 2019/20

In my table DM_CNF_TERM I created a new calculated column with the following logic

5_Years = SWITCH(TRUE,
DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY())-4,'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
,DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY())-3,'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
,DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY())-2,'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
,DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY())-1,'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
,DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY()),'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
,DM_CNF_TERM[ACAD_YEAR_NUM]=YEAR(TODAY())+1,'DM_CNF_TERM'[ACAD_YEAR_DESC]
)

Which seems to be working as I expect it to.

Now I have 2 questions

1) If I wanted the ACAD_YEAR_DESC to actually switch on a certain DAY, lets say Nov 1 every year - How would I go about doing this?

2) I was wondering is there anyway I can create a totally seperate table in my model that could house this calculated column? Basically, I dont want to be adding columns in a bunch of tables. I was hoping I could create a stand alone table or location where I can store all my calculated columns.

Any insight would be very much appreciated

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rodneyc8063_1 did you looked at relative data filtering which you can use at report level. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.