Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasM
Frequent Visitor

Summarize Table

Hi All

I am trying to summarize a table that contains payment of customers.

I want the first transaction date and first amount, also the last transaction date and last amount.

As soon as i have this information, i will be able to calculate what the customer should have paid me from when they started paying to now. 

In addition, i will know those who are behind.

PS: I am unable to get the FirstPaymentAmount and LastPaymentAmount. Any solution?

DAX Code:

BI_ARREARS = SUMMARIZE(BI_TRANSACTIONS, BI_TRANSACTIONS[Rim_No], "FirstTransactionDate", MIN(BI_TRANSACTIONS[Payment_Date].[Date]),"Total Amount Paid",SUM(BI_TRANSACTIONS[Payment_Amount]), "LastTransactionDate", MAX(BI_TRANSACTIONS[Payment_Date]))

ResultsCapture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ThomasM,

Please add another two <groupBy_columnName> arguments in summarize function. Please try the following formula. I test it using your given sample data and get expected result.

Table = SUMMARIZE(Table21,Table21[Rim_No],"FirstTransactionDate",MIN(Table21[Payment_Date]),"Total Amont Paid",SUM(Table21[Payment_Amont]),"LastTransactionDate",MAX(Table21[Payment_Date]),"first-amont",SUMX(FILTER(Table21,Table21[Payment_Date]=MIN(Table21[Payment_Date])),Table21[Payment_Amont]),"last-amont",SUMX(FILTER(Table21,Table21[Payment_Date]=MAX(Table21[Payment_Date])),Table21[Payment_Amont]))

11.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not have your original data or a sample of your data, but why are you using SUMMARIZE? I would think that if you had a customer table and it was related to your transaction table that you could just create 4 columns in this table:

First Date = MIN(Table[Date])

Last Date = MAX(Table[Date])

First Amount = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Amount]),FILTER(Table,Table[Date]=MIN(Table[Date])))

Last Amount = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Amount]),FILTER(Table,Table[Date]=MAX(Table[Date])))

I may not have the DAX 100% correct, you may need to use RELATEDTABLE or RELATED, but that's the general gist of it. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Please see below table sample.

The reason i created a summary table is because the original table contains multiple payments for each customer and therefore i only require a single line that contains id, first date, first amount and last date, last amount. Once i have this, i can figure out whether the customer is behind with payments or not, that means i am create more columns on the summary table.

Capture.PNG

Hi @ThomasM,

Please add another two <groupBy_columnName> arguments in summarize function. Please try the following formula. I test it using your given sample data and get expected result.

Table = SUMMARIZE(Table21,Table21[Rim_No],"FirstTransactionDate",MIN(Table21[Payment_Date]),"Total Amont Paid",SUM(Table21[Payment_Amont]),"LastTransactionDate",MAX(Table21[Payment_Date]),"first-amont",SUMX(FILTER(Table21,Table21[Payment_Date]=MIN(Table21[Payment_Date])),Table21[Payment_Amont]),"last-amont",SUMX(FILTER(Table21,Table21[Payment_Date]=MAX(Table21[Payment_Date])),Table21[Payment_Amont]))

11.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Works perfectly. Thank you!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.