Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CharleyK
Regular Visitor

Sum of cost of items in licence on any given day

Please help - I'm losing my mind.

I have 2 tables:

TABLE 1: Inventory, featuring

• Licence Start Date
  • Licence End Date
  • #Days in Licence
  • Deal Cost per Day

TABLE 2: Simply a calendar date table

They have an active relationship on the Start Date

I want to visualise, as a bar chart, the cost of everything in licence on any given day. 

No amount of measures; relationships and calculated tables has gotten me there in the last 48 hours, and I might just have a breakdown.  What am I not getting here?  SO frustrating being a newb.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CharleyK
Regular Visitor

OMG!  I think I just got it  😄  

Active Costs = sumx(filter(Inventory,[Active Licenses]),Inventory[TotalCostPerDay])

Thank you thank you thank you SO much for your help!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CharleyK
Regular Visitor

OMG!  I think I just got it  😄  

Active Costs = sumx(filter(Inventory,[Active Licenses]),Inventory[TotalCostPerDay])

Thank you thank you thank you SO much for your help!!

@CharleyK 

Glad that you have solved this problem, you may accept the appropriate reply as a solution to close this topic and others will find it quickly. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

CharleyK
Regular Visitor

@mahoneypat     well, this is incredible - I have removed the relationship, and now have a bar chart of number of active licences which gives correct results which is WAY closer than I've gotten so far, so thank you SO much on this, and for the reassurance.  Definitely hadn't reached the passing variables stage yet.... clearly a lot to learn!

You mention changing the calculation to get total cost... which I'm trying, but am failing to get a working version of.  Are you able to enlighten me any further?  I've tried nesting another calculate and making various kinds of other measures etc. Sorry to be a pain, and thank you!!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

Create an Inactive relationship from License End Date to your Calendar date table. then you will need to create a DAX measure using CALCULATE  and USERELATIONSHIP formulas to calculate the SUM of the deal cost per day. Add it to your bar shart.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Hang in there.  This is a little more advanced, so don't get too frustrated.  Usually this is done with no relationship between the date and license table, with a measure like this.  Put it in a visual with columns from your date table.  This does the count of active licenses, but you can change the calculation to get total cost, etc.

Active Licenses =
VAR vMaxDate =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR vMinDate =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Inventory ),
        ALLSELECTED ( Inventory[StartDate] ),
        Inventory[StartDate] <= vMaxDate,
        Inventory[EndDate] >= vMinDate
    )

You won't need the ALLSELECTED part if there is no relationship between the tables, but if you do have it for other reasons, that will remove it for this calculation.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.