Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rderrickwhite
Helper I
Helper I

Sum With Multiple Filters

here's an easier one...  or at least it should be, I've looked in previous posts but didn't see this situation addressed...  I am attempting to write a formula to sum column c in the below example, under the following conditions:
1. column a contains the same value 
2. column b is a distinct value 

3. I need to sum column c under the condition that the data from column a is similar (same part number), but only if the location is unique.

4. for the purposes of my data model I need this to occur as a column rather than a measure.

Capture2.PNG

It seems like it should be simple to resolve, but so far all of my idea have returned the incorrect value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rderrickwhite ,

I do agree with you that it isn't elegant. Here is a solution that works :

TOTAL = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table';'Table'[QTY AVAILABLE]/
COUNTX ( FILTER ( 'Table'; EARLIER ( 'Table'[LOCATION] ) = 'Table'[LOCATION] ); 'Table'[LOCATION] ) );ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[PN]))

If you want to understand how it works, I described it below

1. Find the number of occurences of each LOCATION 

OCCURENCES = COUNTX ( FILTER ( 'Table'; EARLIER ( 'Table'[LOCATION] ) = 'Table'[LOCATION] ); 'Table'[LOCATION] )

2. Divide QTY AVAILABLE by the number of occurences found 

CalculatedQTY = 'Table'[QTY AVAILABLE]/'Table'[OCCURENCES]

3. Sum this calculated occurences

RESULT = CALCULATE( SUM( 'Table'[CalculatedQTY] ); ALLEXCEPT( 'Table'; 'Table'[PN] ))

Tell me if it is any better for you,

Regards, 

Etienne

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rderrickwhite ,

Please check the following steps as below.

1. Insert an index column in power query.

2. Create the calculated columns as below.

Column = var ind = 'Table'[Index] -1
return
IF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[PN]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Index] = ind)) <>'Table'[PN],1,0)
catgory = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Column]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Index] <= EARLIER('Table'[Index])))
Result = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[QTY AVAILABLE]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[catgory]))

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
rderrickwhite
Helper I
Helper I

@Mariusz,  Thank you but this suggestion does not meet the criteria I specified.  It simply sums Qty available...  The challenge is that if the QTY Available from the same location appears on multiple rows,  the total will be duplicated.

Hi @rderrickwhite 

Sorry I was under ipression that this was the requierment.

image.png

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mariusz , I think that @rderrickwhite wants to ignore duplicates in his table.

You will probably have a better solution but one way to do it is to first remove duplicates from your table 

Table2 = DISTINCT('Table')

And then use @Mariusz formula

Column = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM( 'Table'[QTY AVAILEBLE] ),
    ALLEXCEPT( 'Table', 'Table'[PN] )
)

It's not very clean and i think you could have a much better result by using Power Query instead of dax, but at least this will work.

what would be the solution in Power Query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something like that would work 

let
    Source = yourTable,
    #"Remove Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(Source),
    #"GroupBy" = Table.Group(#"Remove Duplicates", {"PN"}, {{"SUM", each List.Sum([QTY AVAILABLE]), type number}}),
    #"JoinTables" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Type modifié", "PN", #"GroupBy","PN","total"),
    #"Develop" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"JoinTables", "total", {"SUM"}, {"total.SUM"})
in
    #"Develop"

Tell me if you encounter any problems

It's better with power query because with DAX you cant use a calculated table in a SUM, you have to use an existing table.

Thanks!  That worked, but it isn't the most elegant solution.  I wish there was a way that did not include making another table...  It's just making my data set take longer to load.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rderrickwhite ,

I do agree with you that it isn't elegant. Here is a solution that works :

TOTAL = CALCULATE(SUMX('Table';'Table'[QTY AVAILABLE]/
COUNTX ( FILTER ( 'Table'; EARLIER ( 'Table'[LOCATION] ) = 'Table'[LOCATION] ); 'Table'[LOCATION] ) );ALLEXCEPT('Table';'Table'[PN]))

If you want to understand how it works, I described it below

1. Find the number of occurences of each LOCATION 

OCCURENCES = COUNTX ( FILTER ( 'Table'; EARLIER ( 'Table'[LOCATION] ) = 'Table'[LOCATION] ); 'Table'[LOCATION] )

2. Divide QTY AVAILABLE by the number of occurences found 

CalculatedQTY = 'Table'[QTY AVAILABLE]/'Table'[OCCURENCES]

3. Sum this calculated occurences

RESULT = CALCULATE( SUM( 'Table'[CalculatedQTY] ); ALLEXCEPT( 'Table'; 'Table'[PN] ))

Tell me if it is any better for you,

Regards, 

Etienne

@Anonymous 

How to get the unique values from another table and comparing multiple column in both table.

Please advise.

Regards.,

Swamy

@AnonymousThis is indeed a very elegant solution to the problem, and seemingly, the most direct.  

@v-frfei-msftyour solution also worked well.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out.

It is returning the correct result, but only because in the example you don't have multiple rows with the same part number and location.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @rderrickwhite 

Please see the below

Column = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM( 'Table'[QTY AVAILEBLE] ),
    ALLEXCEPT( 'Table', 'Table'[PN] )
)

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.